* coda9 jpeg support?
@ 2019-09-13 16:00 Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2019-09-13 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media, Philipp Zabel

Greetings,

What would need to be done to support JPEG enc/dec for coda9?

Best Regards,

Tim

* Re: coda9 jpeg support?
@ 2019-09-17 14:33 ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2019-09-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Harvey, linux-media

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 09:00 -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What would need to be done to support JPEG enc/dec for coda9?

here is a WIP that still needs some cleanup for upstreaming:

  https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/pza/linux/log/?h=coda/jpeg

Basically I'd like to avoid adding yet another JPEG header parser to the
kernel, as we already have at least three:
  drivers/media/platform/rcar_jpu.c
  drivers/media/platform/mtk-jpeg/mtk_jpeg_parse.c
  drivers/media/platform/s5p-jpeg/jpeg-core.c

I want to allow probing without the BIT processor firmware for blobless
JPEG-only support, and I'd like the JPEG codec to be able to run
concurrently with the BIT processor codec.

I'm working on this this week.

regards
Philipp

* Re: coda9 jpeg support?
@ 2019-09-17 19:00   ` Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2019-09-17 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Zabel; +Cc: linux-media

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 09:00 -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > What would need to be done to support JPEG enc/dec for coda9?
>
> here is a WIP that still needs some cleanup for upstreaming:
>
>   https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/pza/linux/log/?h=coda/jpeg
>
> Basically I'd like to avoid adding yet another JPEG header parser to the
> kernel, as we already have at least three:
>   drivers/media/platform/rcar_jpu.c
>   drivers/media/platform/mtk-jpeg/mtk_jpeg_parse.c
>   drivers/media/platform/s5p-jpeg/jpeg-core.c
>
> I want to allow probing without the BIT processor firmware for blobless
> JPEG-only support, and I'd like the JPEG codec to be able to run
> concurrently with the BIT processor codec.
>
> I'm working on this this week.

Philipp,

Thanks for this! I'll keep an eye out for your submission and provide testing.

I have pulled your branch and boot-tested it. I see the 2 new video
devices but noticed that the JPEG decoder shows up as an element for
video4linux2 the JPEG encoder doesn't show up (gstreamer v1.14.5) -
any idea why that would be?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

* Re: coda9 jpeg support?
@ 2019-09-18  7:28     ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2019-09-18  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Harvey; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 2019-09-17 at 12:00 -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
[...]
> I have pulled your branch and boot-tested it. I see the 2 new video
> devices but noticed that the JPEG decoder shows up as an element for
> video4linux2 the JPEG encoder doesn't show up (gstreamer v1.14.5) -
> any idea why that would be?

Yes, v4l2jpegenc was added in 1.16

regards
Philipp