From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
To: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil-cisco@xs4all.nl>
Cc: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
Subject: Re: "media: vb2: add (un)prepare_streaming queue ops" causes vb2_queue->streaming to be set earlier ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 21:03:20 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 08:40:05AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On 07/12/2022 22:23, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > I just fixed a crash in the out of tree driver which is caused by:
> >
> > a10b21532574 ("media: vb2: add (un)prepare_streaming queue ops")
> >
> > I know that breaking out of tree code is fine / not our problem,
> > but I wonder if this maybe affects some in tree code too ?
> >
> > The problem with the out of tree driver is that it
> > used vb2_queue->streaming inside the buf_queue() callback
> > to determine if the buffer was being pre-queued (from
> > vb2_start_streaming() calling __enqueue_in_driver()) before
> > the start_streaming queue-op is called.
> >
> > Or if it was being queued after the start_streaming queue-op
> > has been called.
> >
> > With vb2_queue->streaming now being set before the
> >  __enqueue_in_driver() calls in vb2_start_streaming() this
> > broke and it went down the route to see if there was
> > space available in the hw-queue which NULL pointer deref-ed
> > because the hw-queue had not been setup yet (more or less).
> >
> > This is fixed now as far as the ipu6 driver is concerned,
> > but I wonder if we may not have in tree drivers making
> > similar assumptions about vb2_queue->streaming in their
> > buf_queue() callbacks ?
>
> I checked, and there is nobody else that's doing that.

Unfortunately, commit a10b21532574 ("media: vb2: add
(un)prepare_streaming queue ops") broke the vsp1 driver, which oopses
when starting streaming due to the issue described above.

> It's definitely wrong to use q->streaming like that, it was never
> meant as a check for whether or not the buffer was pre-queued.

It's done though :-) The vsp1 .buf_queue() handler reads as

static void vsp1_video_buffer_queue(struct vb2_buffer *vb)
{
	struct vb2_v4l2_buffer *vbuf = to_vb2_v4l2_buffer(vb);
	struct vsp1_video *video = vb2_get_drv_priv(vb->vb2_queue);
	struct vsp1_pipeline *pipe = video->rwpf->entity.pipe;
	struct vsp1_vb2_buffer *buf = to_vsp1_vb2_buffer(vbuf);
	unsigned long flags;
	bool empty;

	spin_lock_irqsave(&video->irqlock, flags);
	empty = list_empty(&video->irqqueue);
	list_add_tail(&buf->queue, &video->irqqueue);
	spin_unlock_irqrestore(&video->irqlock, flags);

	if (!empty)
		return;

	spin_lock_irqsave(&pipe->irqlock, flags);

	video->rwpf->mem = buf->mem;
	pipe->buffers_ready |= 1 << video->pipe_index;

	if (vb2_is_streaming(&video->queue) &&
	    vsp1_pipeline_ready(pipe))
		vsp1_video_pipeline_run(pipe);

	spin_unlock_irqrestore(&pipe->irqlock, flags);
}

> Thanks for the heads-up, though! It is a real change in vb2 behavior
> that I hadn't realized could cause problems.
>
> It's a good change, since having buf_queue called when q->streaming is
> false makes no sense. However, you can use q->start_streaming_called
> instead if for some reason a driver needs to know.

This fixes the issue in the vsp1 driver. I'll submit a patch, but I'm
worried about other breakages thought, *lots* of drivers call
vb2_is_streaming(), including in the .buf_queue() handler. Even the m2m
core does so. I'm not sure we'll be able to fix all that in time for
v6.2.

Laurent Pinchart