Hans, On Tue 07 Nov 23, 16:00, Hans Verkuil wrote: > On 07/11/2023 15:25, Paul Kocialkowski wrote: > > Hi Hans, > > > > On Tue 07 Nov 23, 14:54, Hans Verkuil wrote: > >> Looking at the cedrus TODO: > >> > >> Before this stateless decoder driver can leave the staging area: > >> * The Request API needs to be stabilized; > >> * The codec-specific controls need to be thoroughly reviewed to ensure they > >> cover all intended uses cases; > >> * Userspace support for the Request API needs to be reviewed; > >> * Another stateless decoder driver should be submitted; > >> * At least one stateless encoder driver should be submitted. > >> > >> I would say that all items are done, except for the last item. > >> > >> But this is a decoder driver, so I'm not sure why the TODO would mention > >> something about encoders. > > > > I agree. This didn't prevent the hantro driver form being unstaged anyway. > > > >> Anything else that needs to be done before it can be moved out of staging? > > > > I'm actually working on a big rework of the driver, because its architecture > > is vastly sub-optimal and overall very messy. This is in particular needed for > > the work to support H.264 encoding. > > > > The plan for now is to publish this work in a downstream repository (at Bootlin) > > since we don't yet have a uAPI for encoding. The rework is also not split into > > nice transition commits but it's instead a big all-in-one commit for the moment. > > > > However I would like to see this rework hit mainline after the publication of > > the encoding work, because it's a much needed cleanup for the decode side too. > > I will of course split it into nice commits at that point. > > > > So I'm not sure whether this conflicts with unstaging or not. It could make > > sense to wait until the rework is achieved to unstage, but I would also be fine > > with unstaging first. It would just make me slightly happier to bring big > > changes to a staging driver instead of a fully-merged one. > > > > What do you think? > > Fine with me, but I would appreciate it if you can post a patch updating the TODO > file. That's really out of date, and you can mention the rework you are doing. Great, I've just sent out a patch which replaces the current TODO with a description of the rework. Thanks, Paul -- Paul Kocialkowski, Bootlin Embedded Linux and kernel engineering https://bootlin.com