From: Phong Tran <tranmanphong@gmail.com>
To: mchehab@kernel.org, hans.verkuil@cisco.com,
	keescook@chromium.org, skhan@linuxfoundation.org
Cc: tranmanphong@gmail.com, linux-media@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Analyze syzbot report technisat_usb2_rc_query KASAN
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 07:49:26 +0700	[thread overview]

Hello,

I did a checking for this report of syzbot [1]
 From the call stack of dump log:

There shows that a problem within technisat_usb2_get_ir()

BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in technisat_usb2_get_ir
drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/technisat-usb2.c:664 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in technisat_usb2_rc_query+0x5fa/0x660
drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/technisat-usb2.c:679
Read of size 1 at addr ffff8880a8791ea8 by task kworker/0:1/12

Take a look into while loop in technisat_usb2_get_ir().
I recognized that a problem. The loop will not break out with the
condition doesn't reach. Then "b++" will go wrong and buffer will be
overflow.

while (1) {
[...]
	b++;
	if (*b == 0xff) {
		ev.pulse = 0;
		ev.duration = 888888*2;
		ir_raw_event_store(d->rc_dev, &ev);
		break;
	}
}

I would propose changing the loop condition by checking the address of
the buffer. If acceptable, I will send this patch to the mailing-list.
eg:

-       while (1) {
+       while (b != (buf + 63)) {
[...]