From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil-cisco@xs4all.nl>
To: Christian Zigotzky <chzigotzky@xenosoft.de>, linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Darren Stevens <darren@stevens-zone.net>,
	mad skateman <madskateman@gmail.com>,
	"R.T.Dickinson" <rtd2@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [BTTV] [FSL P50x0] [PASEMI] TV Time doesn't work anymore after dropping the overlay support
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 08:57:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Christian,

On 01/05/2023 17:20, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a patch for adding overlay support again. TV Time works without any problems again. [1]
>
> Please find attached the patch for adding the removed overlay support back for BTTV cards.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>
> [1]
> - https://i.ibb.co/6NJmj1y/Kernel-6-4-alpha1-Power-PC.png
> - https://i.ibb.co/7rx0MyD/Kernel-6-4-alpha2-Power-PC.png
>

> On 26 April 2023 at 04:09 pm, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> TV Time doesn't work anymore on my Cyrus+ board with a FSL P50x0 PowerPC SoC [1] and on my P.A. Semi Nemo board [2] after dropping the overlay support [3]. It starts and then the whole computer
>> freezes.

I really don't want to put destructive overlay support back, it should not
be necessary. On an intel processor tvtime with bttv without overlay works
fine, so why doesn't it for these boards?

I wonder if it is a big vs little endian issue that crops up when there is
no overlay. At least, I assume these two boards are big endian?

Can you try to use v4l2-ctl to stream from bttv? E.g.: v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --stream-mmap

If that works (note that this just captures without showing the output), then
the issue is likely with tvtime, not bttv. If v4l2-ctl fails, then try again
after applying this series:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/cover.1682995256.git.deborah.brouwer@collabora.com/

If it still fails, then there is likely a big endian problem in the bttv
driver that will need to be resolved.

If it is tvtime, then run with --verbose: hopefully that will give an indication
of which output driver it uses (Xv, DirectFB or SDL are the more likely candidates).

Note that I see no overlay support in the official tvtime repo:
https://git.linuxtv.org/tvtime.git/

It could be an output library that is handling that, though. But I need to know
how it is set up on the boards you use.

Regards,

	Hans