linux-mips.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* MIPS eBPF JIT support on pre-32R2
@ 2019-12-05 12:45 Alexander Lobakin
From: Alexander Lobakin @ 2019-12-05 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Burton
  Cc: Hassan Naveed, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan, Alexei Starovoitov,
	Daniel Borkmann, Martin KaFai Lau, Song Liu, Yonghong Song,
	Andrii Nakryiko, netdev, bpf, linux-mips, linux-kernel

Hey all,

I'm writing about lines arch/mips/net/ebpf_jit.c:1806-1807:

	if (!prog->jit_requested || MIPS_ISA_REV < 2)
		return prog;

Do pre-32R2 architectures (32R1, maybe even R3000-like) actually support
this eBPF JIT code? If they do, then the condition 'MIPS_ISA_REV < 2'
should be removed as it is always true for them and tells CC to remove
JIT completely.

If they don't support instructions from this JIT, then the line
arch/mips/Kconfig:50:

	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if (!CPU_MICROMIPS)

should be changed to something like:

	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS && TARGET_ISA_REV >= 2

(and then the mentioned 'if' condition would become redundant)

At the moment it is possible to build a kernel without both JIT and
interpreter, but with CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y (what should not be allowed
I suppose?) within the following configuration:

- select any pre-32R2 CPU (e.g. CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1);
- enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT (CONFIG_MIPS_EBPF_JIT will be autoselected);
- enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT_ALWAYS_ON (this removes BPF interpreter from
   the system).

I may prepare a proper patch by myself if needed (after clarification).
Thanks.

Regards,
ᚷ ᛖ ᚢ ᚦ ᚠ ᚱ

* Re: MIPS eBPF JIT support on pre-32R2
@ 2019-12-05 13:04 ` Daniel Borkmann
From: Daniel Borkmann @ 2019-12-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Lobakin
  Cc: Paul Burton, Hassan Naveed, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan,
	Alexei Starovoitov, Martin KaFai Lau, Song Liu, Yonghong Song,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 03:45:27PM +0300, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm writing about lines arch/mips/net/ebpf_jit.c:1806-1807:
>
> 	if (!prog->jit_requested || MIPS_ISA_REV < 2)
> 		return prog;
>
> Do pre-32R2 architectures (32R1, maybe even R3000-like) actually support
> this eBPF JIT code? If they do, then the condition 'MIPS_ISA_REV < 2'
> should be removed as it is always true for them and tells CC to remove
> JIT completely.
>
> If they don't support instructions from this JIT, then the line
> arch/mips/Kconfig:50:
>
> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if (!CPU_MICROMIPS)
>
> should be changed to something like:
>
> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS && TARGET_ISA_REV >= 2
>
> (and then the mentioned 'if' condition would become redundant)
>
> At the moment it is possible to build a kernel without both JIT and
> interpreter, but with CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y (what should not be allowed
> I suppose?) within the following configuration:

Cannot comment on the MIPS ISA question above, but it would definiely be
a bug to build a kernel with neither JIT nor interpreter. If a JIT is not
available, then there /must/ be the interpreter as fallback to be able to
run BPF programs.

@ 2019-12-05 18:44 ` Paul Burton
From: Paul Burton @ 2019-12-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Lobakin
  Cc: Paul Burton, Hassan Naveed, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan,
	Alexei Starovoitov, Daniel Borkmann, Martin KaFai Lau, Song Liu,
	Yonghong Song, Andrii Nakryiko, netdev, bpf, linux-mips,
	linux-kernel

Hi Alexander,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 03:45:27PM +0300, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm writing about lines arch/mips/net/ebpf_jit.c:1806-1807:
>
> 	if (!prog->jit_requested || MIPS_ISA_REV < 2)
> 		return prog;
>
> Do pre-32R2 architectures (32R1, maybe even R3000-like) actually support
> this eBPF JIT code?

No, they don't; the eBPF JIT makes unconditional use of at least the
(d)ins & (d)ext instructions which were added in MIPSr2, so it would
result in reserved instruction exceptions & panics if enabled on
pre-MIPSr2 CPUs.

> If they do, then the condition 'MIPS_ISA_REV < 2'
> should be removed as it is always true for them and tells CC to remove
> JIT completely.
>
> If they don't support instructions from this JIT, then the line
> arch/mips/Kconfig:50:
>
> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if (!CPU_MICROMIPS)
>
> should be changed to something like:
>
> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS && TARGET_ISA_REV >= 2
>
> (and then the mentioned 'if' condition would become redundant)

Good spot; I agree entirely, this dependency should be reflected in
Kconfig.

> At the moment it is possible to build a kernel without both JIT and
> interpreter, but with CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y (what should not be allowed
> I suppose?) within the following configuration:
>
> - select any pre-32R2 CPU (e.g. CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1);
> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT (CONFIG_MIPS_EBPF_JIT will be autoselected);
> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT_ALWAYS_ON (this removes BPF interpreter from
>   the system).
>
> I may prepare a proper patch by myself if needed (after clarification).

That would be great, thanks!

One thing to note is that I hope we'll restore the cBPF JIT with this
patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/20191205182318.2761605-1-paulburton@kernel.org/T/#u

The cBPF JIT looks like it should work on older pre-MIPSr2 CPUs, so the
only way this is relevant is that your patch might have a minor
conflict. But I thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Thanks,
    Paul

* Re: MIPS eBPF JIT support on pre-32R2
@ 2019-12-06  7:20   ` Alexander Lobakin
From: Alexander Lobakin @ 2019-12-06  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Burton
  Cc: Paul Burton, Hassan Naveed, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan,

Paul Burton wrote 05.12.2019 21:44:
> Hi Alexander,

Hi Paul!

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 03:45:27PM +0300, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm writing about lines arch/mips/net/ebpf_jit.c:1806-1807:
>>
>> 	if (!prog->jit_requested || MIPS_ISA_REV < 2)
>> 		return prog;
>>
>> Do pre-32R2 architectures (32R1, maybe even R3000-like) actually
>> support
>> this eBPF JIT code?
>
> No, they don't; the eBPF JIT makes unconditional use of at least the
> (d)ins & (d)ext instructions which were added in MIPSr2, so it would
> result in reserved instruction exceptions & panics if enabled on
> pre-MIPSr2 CPUs.
>
>> If they do, then the condition 'MIPS_ISA_REV < 2'
>> should be removed as it is always true for them and tells CC to remove
>> JIT completely.
>>
>> If they don't support instructions from this JIT, then the line
>> arch/mips/Kconfig:50:
>>
>> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if (!CPU_MICROMIPS)
>>
>> should be changed to something like:
>>
>> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS && TARGET_ISA_REV >= 2
>>
>> (and then the mentioned 'if' condition would become redundant)
>
> Good spot; I agree entirely, this dependency should be reflected in
> Kconfig.
>
>> At the moment it is possible to build a kernel without both JIT and
>> interpreter, but with CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y (what should not be allowed
>> I suppose?) within the following configuration:
>>
>> - select any pre-32R2 CPU (e.g. CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1);
>> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT (CONFIG_MIPS_EBPF_JIT will be autoselected);
>> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT_ALWAYS_ON (this removes BPF interpreter from
>>   the system).
>>
>> I may prepare a proper patch by myself if needed (after
>> clarification).
>
> That would be great, thanks!

Great, I'll send it in about ~2-3 hours.

> One thing to note is that I hope we'll restore the cBPF JIT with this
> patch:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/20191205182318.2761605-1-paulburton@kernel.org/T/#u
>
> The cBPF JIT looks like it should work on older pre-MIPSr2 CPUs, so the
> only way this is relevant is that your patch might have a minor
> conflict. But I thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Yes, I thought about this too. If pre-32R2 CPUs don't support our eBPF
JIT, we'd better restore cBPF for them, so they could speed-up at least
"classic" instructions. Glad you've decided to do that.

@ 2019-12-06  8:11     ` Alexander Lobakin
From: Alexander Lobakin @ 2019-12-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Burton
  Cc: Paul Burton, Hassan Naveed, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan,

Alexander Lobakin писал 06.12.2019 10:20:
> Paul Burton wrote 05.12.2019 21:44:
>> Hi Alexander,
>
> Hi Paul!
>
>> On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 03:45:27PM +0300, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm writing about lines arch/mips/net/ebpf_jit.c:1806-1807:
>>>
>>> 	if (!prog->jit_requested || MIPS_ISA_REV < 2)
>>> 		return prog;
>>>
>>> Do pre-32R2 architectures (32R1, maybe even R3000-like) actually
>>> support
>>> this eBPF JIT code?
>>
>> No, they don't; the eBPF JIT makes unconditional use of at least the
>> (d)ins & (d)ext instructions which were added in MIPSr2, so it would
>> result in reserved instruction exceptions & panics if enabled on
>> pre-MIPSr2 CPUs.
>>
>>> If they do, then the condition 'MIPS_ISA_REV < 2'
>>> should be removed as it is always true for them and tells CC to
>>> remove
>>> JIT completely.
>>>
>>> If they don't support instructions from this JIT, then the line
>>> arch/mips/Kconfig:50:
>>>
>>> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if (!CPU_MICROMIPS)
>>>
>>> should be changed to something like:
>>>
>>> 	select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS && TARGET_ISA_REV >= 2
>>>
>>> (and then the mentioned 'if' condition would become redundant)
>>
>> Good spot; I agree entirely, this dependency should be reflected in
>> Kconfig.
>>
>>> At the moment it is possible to build a kernel without both JIT and
>>> interpreter, but with CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y (what should not be
>>> allowed
>>> I suppose?) within the following configuration:
>>>
>>> - select any pre-32R2 CPU (e.g. CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1);
>>> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT (CONFIG_MIPS_EBPF_JIT will be autoselected);
>>> - enable CONFIG_BPF_JIT_ALWAYS_ON (this removes BPF interpreter from
>>>   the system).
>>>
>>> I may prepare a proper patch by myself if needed (after
>>> clarification).
>>
>> That would be great, thanks!
>
> Great, I'll send it in about ~2-3 hours.

Here we are: [1]
Yep, this will conflict with your patch restoring cBPF for MIPS32.
If you have any questions about my patch or I should change anything in
it, please let me know.
Thanks!

>> One thing to note is that I hope we'll restore the cBPF JIT with this
>> patch:
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/20191205182318.2761605-1-paulburton@kernel.org/T/#u
>>
>> The cBPF JIT looks like it should work on older pre-MIPSr2 CPUs, so
>> the
>> only way this is relevant is that your patch might have a minor
>> conflict. But I thought I'd mention it anyway :)
>
> Yes, I thought about this too. If pre-32R2 CPUs don't support our eBPF
> JIT, we'd better restore cBPF for them, so they could speed-up at least
> "classic" instructions. Glad you've decided to do that.
>
>> Thanks,
>>     Paul
>
> Regards,
> ᚷ ᛖ ᚢ ᚦ ᚠ ᚱ