Linux-MIPS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Lauri Kasanen <cand@gmx.com>
To: Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com>
Cc: linux-mips@vger.kernel.org, tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6] Nintendo 64 Linux port
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 09:21:36 +0200

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:29:01 +0800
Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to test it with N64EMU or something?
> Just grab out my N64 out of garbage but unfortunately it nolonger boot....

No, I'm afraid not. No emulator is good enough to run it. As mentioned
in the ROM tarball readme, I needed to heavily patch cen64 to be able
to do anything.

My cen64 changes will eventually get upstream, but even with them it's
unstable, while real hw is not.

N64 no longer booting: the most common reasons are broken power supply
(buy another), or dirty pins (electronic contact cleaner/isopropanol +
microfiber cloth + credit card to push it down). The N64 doesn't
usually have leaky caps or other common console killers.

- Lauri