Linux-MIPS Archive on lore.kernel.org
* [RFC 0/6] Nintendo 64 Linux port
@ 2020-12-25 17:05 Lauri Kasanen
From: Lauri Kasanen @ 2020-12-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips; +Cc: tsbogend

Hi all,

Here's a port for the Nintendo 64.

At least two people have done such a port before, but didn't submit.
This is not based on either.

RFC because I'm not sure if it's useful to have this merged. Old,
niche, and limited platform.

"But why", I hear from the back. Having Linux available makes it easier
to port emulators and fb or console games.
www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Nintendo_64 can be edited to no longer say
"vaporware".
Most importantly, because I can.

There's a ready ROM at https://github.com/clbr/n64bootloader/releases
for folks with a flashcart to play with.

- Lauri

* Re: [RFC 0/6] Nintendo 64 Linux port
@ 2020-12-26  3:29 ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-12-26  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lauri Kasanen, linux-mips; +Cc: tsbogend

在 2020/12/26 上午1:05, Lauri Kasanen 写道:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a port for the Nintendo 64.
>
> At least two people have done such a port before, but didn't submit.
> This is not based on either.
>
> RFC because I'm not sure if it's useful to have this merged. Old,
> niche, and limited platform.
>
> "But why", I hear from the back. Having Linux available makes it easier
> to port emulators and fb or console games.
> www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Nintendo_64 can be edited to no longer say
> "vaporware".
> Most importantly, because I can.

Yes you can :-) and Linux can!

> There's a ready ROM at https://github.com/clbr/n64bootloader/releases
> for folks with a flashcart to play with.

Is it possible to test it with N64EMU or something?
Just grab out my N64 out of garbage but unfortunately it nolonger boot....

Thanks.

- Jiaxun

@ 2020-12-26  7:21   ` Lauri Kasanen
From: Lauri Kasanen @ 2020-12-26  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang; +Cc: linux-mips, tsbogend

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:29:01 +0800
Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to test it with N64EMU or something?
> Just grab out my N64 out of garbage but unfortunately it nolonger boot....

No, I'm afraid not. No emulator is good enough to run it. As mentioned
in the ROM tarball readme, I needed to heavily patch cen64 to be able
to do anything.

My cen64 changes will eventually get upstream, but even with them it's
unstable, while real hw is not.

N64 no longer booting: the most common reasons are broken power supply
(buy another), or dirty pins (electronic contact cleaner/isopropanol +
microfiber cloth + credit card to push it down). The N64 doesn't
usually have leaky caps or other common console killers.

- Lauri