On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:50:26AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote: > Compile-testing drivers that require access to a firmware layer > fails when that firmware symbol is unavailable. This happened > twice this week: ... > We should probably do the same thing for other subsystems as well, > but fix this one first as this is a dependency for other patches > getting merged. Reviwed-by: Mark Brown Regardless of what we do with the Cirrus DSP this just seems like a good idea - surprises due to this not being generally available keep coming up, IIRC with the i.MX firmware in the past for example. > Not sure how we'd want to merge this patch, if two other things > need it. I'd prefer to merge it along with the QCOM_SCM change > through the soc tree, but that leaves the cirrus firmware broken > unless we also merge it the same way (rather than through ASoC > as it is now). We could also merge a tag into both places. > Alternatively, we can try to find a different home for the Cirrus > firmware to decouple the two problems. I'd argue that it's actually > misplaced here, as drivers/firmware is meant for kernel code that > interfaces with system firmware, not for device drivers to load > their own firmware blobs from user space. Trying to enforce distinctions here feels like it's liable to lead to trouble at some point...