On 28/11/2019 12:11, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote: > >> Am 28.11.2019 um 12:51 schrieb Vincenzo Frascino : >> >> Hi Nikolaus, >> >> On 27/11/2019 13:53, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote: >> [...] >> >>>> vdso_data and mips_vdso_data before are not part of the ABI hence they are not >>>> bind by a contract with the userspace. >>>> >>>> This means that they can change at any point and if a userspace software relies >>>> on a specific layout of these data structures is doing something wrong. >>> >>> Maybe the libs are clever enough to find that out dynamically but I have no >>> idea about how gettimeofday() and user-space VDSO is implemented to handle such >>> changes. >>> >> As I said userspace applications and libraries should not rely on the layout of >> vdso_data because this is not part of the ABI. >> >> The only thing that userspace requires is to "know" that gettimeofday() exists, >> than it is gettimeofday() that internally accesses the data structure. > > Well, with user-space I include the lib that provides the gettimeofday() syscall > and reads out the memory region where the VDSO data structure is provided by the > kernel. And that part comes from Debian. Somehow it does differently with 4.19 > than 5.4. So I summarise all non-kernel code with the term "user-space". > The the lib that provides the gettimeofday() changes accordingly with vdso_data. 5.4 and 4.19 have 2 different vdso libraries as well. > BR, > Nikolaus > -- Regards, Vincenzo