linux-mips.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
       [not found] <CAP5Nno5CPjV2mcf2ny8AtcC2ziqDkv6Kc7f4hCq1TF4DvKvJkw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-01-05  4:46 ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2020-01-05  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips

Cross-post to the *right* linux-mips list with the *right*
"plain/text" format (sigh)... and hopefully we can have more expert
eyes looking at this ...

(Really sorry to qemu-discuss and debian-mips list ...)

Thanks.

Jun

@ 2020-01-09 21:24   ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2020-01-09 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips

On 2020-01-04 20:46, Jun Sun wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > Debian/mips64el runs well on qemu-system-mips64el until I turned on smp option with a number of 2 or higher.  See the error message below.  It usually hangs pretty early on.

QEMU/mips doesn't really support SMP. The -smp option used to be for
SMT, but I am not even sure it really worked.

All that said, it's still a bug in QEMU to accept this option.

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-12 19:34     ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2020-01-12 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun, qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips; +Cc: lixing, Aurelien Jarno

Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
2016 clearly shows something was working then.

https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/

Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
source code directories?

Would love to get more pointers here!  Thanks!

Jun

@ 2020-01-12 19:57       ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2020-01-12 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips, lixing

Hi,

On 2020-01-12 11:34, Jun Sun wrote:
> Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
> 2016 clearly shows something was working then.
>
> https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/

It's not supported for the malta/mips64r2 combination you are trying to
use. It's clearly possible that it is supported for mips64r6, but it's a
different instruction set, so you can't run a standard Debian
distribution on it.

> Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
> support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
> already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
> source code directories?

Lixing mentioned virtualization. In that case it is indeed supported
like on other mips64r5 CPUs. For that you need to use add the -enable-kvm
option to the qemu command.

Aurelien

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-13  1:17       ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-01-13  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun, qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips; +Cc: lixing, Aurelien Jarno

于 2020年1月13日 GMT+08:00 上午3:34:18, Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 写到:
>Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
>2016 clearly shows something was working then.
>
>https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/
>
>Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
>support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
>already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
>source code directories?
Hi Jun,

As far as I known, Loongson is using there own SMP IPI implementation instead of MIPS MT One.
There QEMU implementation could be found here [1].
QEMU have implemented MIPS MT ASE for SMP.

Thanks

[1]: https://gitee.com/loongsonlab/qemu

--
Jiaxun Yang

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-13  2:14         ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2020-01-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun, qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips, lixing

See below.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-01-12 11:34, Jun Sun wrote:
> > Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
> > 2016 clearly shows something was working then.
> >
> > https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/
>
> It's not supported for the malta/mips64r2 combination you are trying to
> use. It's clearly possible that it is supported for mips64r6, but it's a
> different instruction set, so you can't run a standard Debian
> distribution on it.

How do I specify mips64r6 cpu to start qemu?  A simple cpu listing
below shows no such CPU.  If mips64r6 is indeed supported with SMP, I
would think mips64r2 userland should run fine.

$ qemu-system-mips64el -cpu ?
MIPS '4Kc'
MIPS '4Km'
MIPS '4KEcR1'
MIPS '4KEmR1'
MIPS '4KEc'
MIPS '4KEm'
MIPS '24Kc'
MIPS '24KEc'
MIPS '24Kf'
MIPS '34Kf'
MIPS '74Kf'
MIPS 'M14K'
MIPS 'M14Kc'
MIPS 'P5600'
MIPS 'mips32r6-generic'
MIPS 'R4000'
MIPS 'VR5432'
MIPS '5Kc'
MIPS '5Kf'
MIPS '20Kc'
MIPS 'MIPS64R2-generic'
MIPS '5KEc'
MIPS '5KEf'
MIPS 'I6400'
MIPS 'Loongson-2E'
MIPS 'Loongson-2F'
MIPS 'mips64dspr2'

> > Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
> > support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
> > already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
> > source code directories?
>
> Lixing mentioned virtualization. In that case it is indeed supported
> like on other mips64r5 CPUs. For that you need to use add the -enable-kvm
> option to the qemu command.

I'm not sure if loongson support has to be kvm.  Maybe Lixing can clarify.

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-13  2:35         ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2020-01-13  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang; +Cc: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips, lixing, Aurelien Jarno

Thanks, Jiaxun.  See more questions below.

Jun

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

> 于 2020年1月13日 GMT+08:00 上午3:34:18, Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 写到:
> >Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
> >2016 clearly shows something was working then.
> >
> >https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/
> >
> >Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
> >support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
> >already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
> >source code directories?
> Hi Jun,
>
> As far as I known, Loongson is using there own SMP IPI implementation instead of MIPS MT One.
> There QEMU implementation could be found here [1].
> QEMU have implemented MIPS MT ASE for SMP.

Do you know how to enable and run MIPS MT ASE in qemu?  For with CPU options?

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-13  3:23           ` Huacai Chen
From: Huacai Chen @ 2020-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun
  Cc: Jiaxun Yang, qemu-discuss, debian-mips, open list:MIPS, lixing,
	Aurelien Jarno

Hi, all

I'm working on Loongson-3's SMP support in QEMU, and I'll send my patches soon.

Huacai

@ 2020-01-13  3:29           ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-01-13  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips, lixing, Aurelien Jarno

于 2020年1月13日 GMT+08:00 上午10:35:18, Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 写到:
>Thanks, Jiaxun.  See more questions below.
>
>Jun
>
>On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com>
>wrote:
>>

>> 于 2020年1月13日 GMT+08:00 上午3:34:18, Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net> 写到:
>> >Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
>> >2016 clearly shows something was working then.
>> >

>>https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/
>> >
>> >Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
>> >support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
>> >already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
>> >source code directories?
>> Hi Jun,
>>
>> As far as I known, Loongson is using there own SMP IPI implementation
>instead of MIPS MT One.
>> There QEMU implementation could be found here [1].
>> QEMU have implemented MIPS MT ASE for SMP.
>>

>Do you know how to enable and run MIPS MT ASE in qemu?  For with CPU
>options?

I tried maxcpus=2 cpu=34kf for malta long ago and it was working.
But I'm not sure whether it still works now.

--
Jiaxun Yang

* Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
@ 2020-01-13 19:08           ` Paul Burton
From: Paul Burton @ 2020-01-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: qemu-discuss, debian-mips, linux-mips, lixing

Hi Jun Sun,

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 06:14:12PM -0800, Jun Sun wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
> > On 2020-01-12 11:34, Jun Sun wrote:
> > > Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
> > > 2016 clearly shows something was working then.
> > >
> > > https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/
> >
> > It's not supported for the malta/mips64r2 combination you are trying to
> > use. It's clearly possible that it is supported for mips64r6, but it's a
> > different instruction set, so you can't run a standard Debian
> > distribution on it.
>
> How do I specify mips64r6 cpu to start qemu?  A simple cpu listing
> below shows no such CPU.  If mips64r6 is indeed supported with SMP, I
> would think mips64r2 userland should run fine.

I know that using QEMU's I6400 or I6500 CPU emulation works fine with
SMP as far as -smp 8. It emulates a single core system with up to 8 VPs
(hardware threads), and Linux works fine with it. I most often use the
Boston board emulation with a 64r6el_defconfig kernel for this, but it
ought to work for Malta too.

Both I6400 & I6500 are MIPS64r6 CPUs, so as Aurelien said you'd need to
ensure you're using a suitable MIPSr6 root filesystem.

If you wanted to run as I do it'd go something like this:

$ qemu-system-mips64el \
    -M boston \
    -cpu I6500 \
    -smp 8 \
    -kernel arch/mips/boot/vmlinux.gz.itb

Where that's run from the root of a kernel source tree within which
you've built a 64r6el_defconfig kernel.

Not sure what the behavior is with older CPUs; QEMU's CM & CPC emulation
is somewhat incomplete, and whilst I6400 & I6500 have a relatively
straightforward VP model older CPUs have the more complex MT ASE with
VPEs & TCs to worry about.

Thanks,
    Paul