On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 07:10 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote: > The hypervisor is going to throw away the contents of these pages, > right?  As soon as the spinlock is released, someone can allocate a > page, and put good data in it.  What keeps the hypervisor from > throwing > away good data? That looks like it may be the wrong API, then? We already have hooks called arch_free_page and arch_alloc_page in the VM, which are called when pages are freed, and allocated, respectively. Nitesh Lal (on the CC list) is working on a way to efficiently batch recently freed pages for free page hinting to the hypervisor. If that is done efficiently enough (eg. with MADV_FREE on the hypervisor side for lazy freeing, and lazy later re-use of the pages), do we still need the harder to use batch interface from this patch? -- All rights reversed