On 6 May 2021, at 11:40, David Hildenbrand wrote: >>>> The last patch increases SECTION_SIZE_BITS to demonstrate the use of memory >>>> hotplug/hotremove subsection, but is not intended to be merged as is. It is >>>> there in case one wants to try this out and will be removed during the final >>>> submission. >>>> >>>> Feel free to give suggestions and comments. I am looking forward to your >>>> feedback. >>> >>> Please not like this. >> >> Do you mind sharing more useful feedback instead of just saying a lot of No? > > I remember reasoning about this already in another thread, no? Either you're ignoring my previous feedback or my mind is messing with me. I definitely remember all your suggestions: 1. do not use CMA allocation for 1GB THP. 2. section size defines the minimum size in which we can add_memory(), so we cannot increase it. I am trying an alternative here. I am not using CMA allocation and not increasing the minimum size of add_memory() by decoupling the memory block size from section size, so that add_memory() can add a memory block smaller (as small as 2MB, the subsection size) than section size. In this way, section size can be increased freely. I do not see the strong tie between add_memory() and section size, especially we have subsection bitmap support. — Best Regards, Yan Zi