On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 04:22:53PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote: > On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jann Horn wrote: > > SELinux attempts to make it possible to whitelist trustworthy sources of > > code that may be mapped into memory, and Android makes use of this feature. > > To prevent an attacker from bypassing this by modifying R+X memory through > > /proc/$pid/mem or PTRACE_POKETEXT, it is necessary to call a security hook > > in check_vma_flags(). > > If selinux policy allows PTRACE_POKETEXT, is it really so bad for that > to result in code execution? Have a look at __ptrace_may_access(): /* Don't let security modules deny introspection */ if (same_thread_group(task, current)) return 0; This means thread A can attach to thread B and poke its memory, and SELinux can't do anything about it. I guess another perspective on this would be that it's a problem that interfaces usable for poking user memory are subject to introspection rules (as opposed to e.g. /proc/self/maps, where it is actually useful). > > -struct mm_struct *proc_mem_open(struct inode *inode, unsigned int mode) > > +struct mm_struct *proc_mem_open(struct inode *inode, > > + const struct cred **object_cred, > > + unsigned int mode) > > { > > Why are you passing object_cred all over the place like this? You > have an inode, and an inode implies a task. But the task's mm and objective credentials can change, and only mm_access() holds the cred_guard_mutex during the mm lookup. Although, if the objective credentials change because of a setuid execution, being able to poke in the old mm would be pretty harmless... > For that matter, would it possibly make sense to use MEMCG's mm->owner > and get rid of object_cred entirely? I guess it might. > I can see this causing issues in > strange threading cases, e.g. accessing your own /proc/$$/mem vs > another thread in your process's. Can you elaborate on that?