linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org>
To: Daniel Colascione <dancol@google.com>
Cc: dave.hansen@intel.com, linux-mm@kvack.org,
	Tim Murray <timmurray@google.com>,
	Minchan Kim <minchan@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Why do we let munmap fail?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 18:22:06 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 05:38:06PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 5:22 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 05:00:47PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure, but the general principle applies: reserve resources when you
> *can*
> > > fail so that you don't fail where you can't fail.
>
> > Umm.  OK.  But you want an mmap of 4TB to succeed, right?  That implies
> > preallocating one billion * sizeof(*vma).  That's, what, dozens of
> > gigabytes right there?
>
> That's not what I'm proposing here. I'd hoped to make that clear in the
> remainder of the email to which you've replied.
>
> > I'm sympathetic to wanting to keep both vma-merging and
> > unmap-anything-i-mapped working, but your proposal isn't going to fix it.
>
> > You need to handle the attacker writing a program which mmaps 46 bits
> > of address space and then munmaps alternate pages.  That program needs
> > to be detected and stopped.
>
> Let's look at why it's bad to mmap 46 bits of address space and munmap
> alternate pages. It can't be that doing so would just use too much memory:
> you can mmap 46 bits of address space *already* and touch each page, one by
> one, until the kernel gets fed up and the OOM killer kills you.

If it's anonymous memory, sure, the kernel will kill you.  If it's
file-backed memory, the kernel will page it out again.  Sure, page
table consumption might also kill you, but 8 bytes per page is a lot
less memory consumption than ~200 bytes per page!

> So it's not because we'd allocate a lot of memory that having a huge VMA
> tree is bad, because we already let processes allocate globs of memory in
> other ways. The badness comes, AIUI, from the asymptotic behavior of the
> address lookup algorithm in a tree that big.

There's an order of magnitude difference in memory consumption though.

> One approach to dealing with this badness, the one I proposed earlier, is
> to prevent that giant mmap from appearing in the first place (because we'd
> cap vsize). If that giant mmap never appears, you can't generate a huge VMA
> tree by splitting it.

I have 16GB of memory in this laptop.  At 200 bytes per page, allocating
10% of my memory to vm_area_structs (a ridiculously high overhead),
restricts the total amount I can mmap (spread between all processes)
at 8 million pages, 32GB.  Firefox alone is taking 3.6GB; gnome-shell
is taking another 4.4GB, even gnome-shell is taking 4GB.  Your proposal
just doesn't work.

> Maybe that's not a good approach. Maybe processes really need mappings that
> big. If they do, then maybe the right approach is to just make 8 billion
> VMAs not "DoS the system". What actually goes wrong if we just let the VMA
> tree grow that large? So what if VMA lookup ends up taking a while --- the
> process with the pathological allocation pattern is paying the cost, right?

There's a per-inode tree of every mapping of that file, so if I mmap
libc and then munmap alternate pages, every user of libc pays the price.