linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
* Emails from kvack.org going into spam
@ 2020-10-16 13:54 Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-10-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jann Horn, Andrew Morton, linux-mm

Does anyone know who is the admin for kvack.org?

I was cleaning my GMail spam mail box and saw lots of messages from
Jann Horn in the spam filter. Since he is not a spammer I investigated
what is going on.

I see it is because GMail is flagging all of Jann's messages as having
a DKIM failure and Jann's employeer domain 'google.com' is enforcing a
DMARC policy:

       dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@google.com header.s=20161025 header.b=UzPVodG7;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of owner-linux-mm@kvack.org designates 205.233.56.17 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-linux-mm@kvack.org;
       dmarc=fail (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=google.com

Selecting a message from Jann that went through LKML and kvack:

  https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20201015000041.1734214-1-jannh@google.com/raw
  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20201015000041.1734214-1-jannh@google.com/raw

And checking the DKIM:

  $ opendkim-testmsg < raw.lkml
  $ opendkim-testmsg < raw.mm
  opendkim-testmsg: dkim_eom(): Bad signature

Confirms that Jann sent the message correctly, but kvack is breaking
the signature while vger is not. The DMARC policy on Jann's email is
causing receivers to junk his email as spam. I expect I'm not the only
one.

I see that kvack is modifying the message in transit. Notably it
changed the transfer encoding from

And mangled the body accordingly. Changing the
Content-Transfer-Encoding definitely breaks the signature.

This seems to be a fairly big problem - it is extra hard for people to
contribute. Setting up a text based email flow is already hard, but
having to also somehow obtain an email address that doesn't use DMARC
is becoming an increasingly tough bar to clear.

eg what will people even do if/when Google decides to enable DMARC on
gmail.com as well?

Is it possible that this list software can be reconfigured to match
the vger lists that do seem to work OK?

Is moving the list to vger an option?

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: Emails from kvack.org going into spam
@ 2020-10-16 13:57 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2020-10-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: Jann Horn, Andrew Morton, linux-mm, bcrl

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:54:51AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Does anyone know who is the admin for kvack.org?

That's Ben.  Adding cc.

@ 2020-10-16 14:13   ` Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2020-10-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox; +Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jann Horn, Andrew Morton, linux-mm

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 02:57:33PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:54:51AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Does anyone know who is the admin for kvack.org?
>
> That's Ben.  Adding cc.

Without suggestions for how to fix the issue, there's not much I can do.
majordomo doesn't modify the message body - that was changed years ago to
deal with the first round of DKIM breakage.  Postfix must be mangling
things, but I have no idea how to prevent that.  I wish people wouldn't
keep coming up with new ways to break mailing lists.

		-ben

--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."

* Re: Emails from kvack.org going into spam
@ 2020-10-16 15:10     ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-10-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Jann Horn, Andrew Morton, linux-mm

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:13:49AM -0400, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 02:57:33PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:54:51AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Does anyone know who is the admin for kvack.org?
> >
> > That's Ben.  Adding cc.
>
> Without suggestions for how to fix the issue, there's not much I can do.
> majordomo doesn't modify the message body - that was changed years ago to
> deal with the first round of DKIM breakage.

First round? I looked some more and it is not just Google senders, but
Facebook and others. This is a bug chunk of the major kernel
contributing companies effected :(

> Postfix must be mangling things, but I have no idea how to prevent
> that.

If so, it is probably the hand off from majordomo to postfix is not
8bit clean? Weitse had some guidance on how that works:

http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/On-DKIM-and-Content-Transfer-Encoding-td68767.html

Seems he confirms that indeed postfix auto downgrades if it is not all
done correctly.

The big hammer is to try this:

disable_mime_output_conversion (default: no)
  Disable the conversion of 8BITMIME format to 7BIT format. Mime output conversion is needed when the destination does not advertise 8BITMIME support.

  This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.

In 2020 I bet you can safely set that to yes. Lots of internet hits
related to that config and DKIM breakage with Postfix.

But probably this is an issue with integrating majordomo with postfix,
ie it doesn't set the -B8BITMIME when calling sendmail or something?
Postfix is sensitive to this, other mailers like exim are not.

> I wish people wouldn't keep coming up with new ways to break
> mailing lists.

Running mailing lists has always been hard :(

@ 2020-10-16 15:17 ` Jann Horn
From: Jann Horn @ 2020-10-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Linux-MM

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 3:54 PM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca> wrote:
> Does anyone know who is the admin for kvack.org?
>
> I was cleaning my GMail spam mail box and saw lots of messages from
> Jann Horn in the spam filter. Since he is not a spammer I investigated
> what is going on.
>
> I see it is because GMail is flagging all of Jann's messages as having
> a DKIM failure and Jann's employeer domain 'google.com' is enforcing a
> DMARC policy:

>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@google.com header.s=20161025 header.b=UzPVodG7;
>        spf=pass (google.com: domain of owner-linux-mm@kvack.org designates 205.233.56.17 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-linux-mm@kvack.org;
>        dmarc=fail (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=google.com
>
> Selecting a message from Jann that went through LKML and kvack:
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20201015000041.1734214-1-jannh@google.com/raw
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20201015000041.1734214-1-jannh@google.com/raw
>
> And checking the DKIM:
>
>   $ opendkim-testmsg < raw.lkml
>   $ opendkim-testmsg < raw.mm
>   opendkim-testmsg: dkim_eom(): Bad signature
>
> Confirms that Jann sent the message correctly, but kvack is breaking
> the signature while vger is not. The DMARC policy on Jann's email is
> causing receivers to junk his email as spam. I expect I'm not the only
> one.
>
> I see that kvack is modifying the message in transit. Notably it
> changed the transfer encoding from
>
> And mangled the body accordingly. Changing the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding definitely breaks the signature.

Oof... I thought I had solved everything once I had a setup that
didn't break with VGER (which replaces existing "Sender" headers)...

As far as I can tell, 8bit encoding is the default behavior of "git
send-email"? That's what the manpage says...

I guess I can try to work around it for now by changing git's
"sendemail.transferEncoding" from the default "auto" (which uses 8bit
if possible) to "quoted-printable"... but of course it would be nicer
to fix this on the list's side.

I'll try to flip that config flag and resend my most recent patch series...