Hi! > [...] > > > That "central facility" option can be as simple as "mkdir > > > /somewhere/sanitized_id", using inode numbers for example. You don't > > > really need IPC. > > > > Hmm, so the suggestion is to have some directory which contains files > > representing IDs, each containing the string name of the associated > > vma? Then let's say we are creating a new VMA and want to name it. We > > would have to scan that directory, check all files and see if any of > > them contain the name we want to reuse the same ID. > > I believe Pavel meant something as simple as > $ YOUR_FILE=$YOUR_IDS_DIR/my_string_name > $ touch $YOUR_FILE > $ stat -c %i $YOUR_FILE > > YOUR_IDS_DIR can live on a tmpfs and you can even implement a policy on > top of that (who can generate new ids, gurantee uniqness etc...). > > The above is certainly not for free of course but if you really need a > system wide consistency when using names then you need some sort of > central authority. How you implement that is not all that important > but I do not think we want to handle that in the kernel. For the record, yes, that is what I meant. Thanks, Pavel -- http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek