On Thu, 2019-10-03 at 13:49 -0700, John Hubbard wrote: > Yes. And to clarify, I was assuming that the changes to mm/gup.c were > required in order to accomplish your goals. Given that assumption, I > wanted the generic code to be "proper", and that's what that feedback > is about. You assumed right. On my counting approach it's necessary count all 'lockless pagetable walks', including the ones in generic code. And, I think even without the counting approach, it was a good way focus this 'lockless pagetable walk' routine in a single place. > > Although the other questions about file-backed THP > make it sound like some rethinking across the board is required now. Yeap, I need to better understand how the file-backed THP problem works. Thanks, Leonardo BrĂ¡s