linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: Yongji Xie <xieyongji@bytedance.com>
To: Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com>
Cc: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com>,
	akpm@linux-foundation.org, linux-mm@kvack.org,
	 virtualization@lists.linux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [RFC 0/4] Introduce VDUSE - vDPA Device in Userspace
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:39:11 +0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2020/10/19 下午10:56, Xie Yongji wrote:
> > This series introduces a framework, which can be used to implement
> > vDPA Devices in a userspace program. To implement it, the work
> > consist of two parts: control path emulating and data path offloading.
> >
> > In the control path, the VDUSE driver will make use of message
> > mechnism to forward the actions (get/set features, get/st status,
> > get/set config space and set virtqueue states) from virtio-vdpa
> > driver to userspace. Userspace can use read()/write() to
> > receive/reply to those control messages.
> >
> > In the data path, the VDUSE driver implements a MMU-based
> > on-chip IOMMU driver which supports both direct mapping and
> > indirect mapping with bounce buffer. Then userspace can access
> > those iova space via mmap(). Besides, eventfd mechnism is used to
> > trigger interrupts and forward virtqueue kicks.
>

> This is pretty interesting!
>
> For vhost-vdpa, it should work, but for virtio-vdpa, I think we should
> carefully deal with the IOMMU/DMA ops stuffs.

I notice that neither dma_map nor set_map is implemented in
> vduse_vdpa_config_ops, this means you want to let vhost-vDPA to deal
> with IOMMU domains stuffs.  Any reason for doing that?

Actually, this series only focus on virtio-vdpa case now. To support
vhost-vdpa,  as you said, we need to implement dma_map/dma_unmap. But there
is a limit that vm's memory can't be anonymous pages which are forbidden in
vm_insert_page(). Maybe we need to add some limits on vhost-vdpa?

> The reason for the questions are:
>
> 1) You've implemented a on-chip IOMMU driver but don't expose it to
> generic IOMMU layer (or generic IOMMU layer may need some extension to
> support this)
> 2) We will probably remove the IOMMU domain management in vhost-vDPA,
> and move it to the device(parent).
>
> So if it's possible, please implement either set_map() or
> dma_map()/dma_unmap(), this may align with our future goal and may speed
> up the development.
>
> Btw, it would be helpful to give even more details on how the on-chip
> IOMMU driver in implemented.

The basic idea is treating MMU (VA->PA) as IOMMU (IOVA->PA). And using
vm_insert_page()/zap_page_range() to do address mapping/unmapping. And the
address mapping will be done in page fault handler because vm_insert_page()
can't be called in atomic_context such as dma_map_ops->map_page().

> > The details and our user case is shown below:
> >
> > ------------------------
>  -----------------------------------------------------------
> > |                  APP |     |                          QEMU
> > |       ---------      |     | --------------------
> -------------------+<-->+------ |
> > |       |dev/vdx|      |     | | device emulation |    | virtio
> dataplane |    | BDS | |
> > ------------+-----------
>  -----------+-----------------------+-----------------+-----
> >              |                           |                       |
> >              |                           | emulating             |
> offloading      |
> >
> ------------+---------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------+------
> > |    | block device |           |  vduse driver |        |  vdpa device
> |    | TCP/IP | |
> > |    -------+--------           --------+--------
> +------+-------     -----+---- |
> > |           |                           |                |      |
>          |     |
> > |           |                           |                |      |
>          |     |
> > | ----------+----------       ----------+-----------     |      |
>          |     |
> > | | virtio-blk driver |       | virtio-vdpa driver |     |      |
>          |     |
> > | ----------+----------       ----------+-----------     |      |
>          |     |
> > |           |                           |                |      |
>          |     |
> > |           |                           ------------------      |
>          |     |
> > |           -----------------------------------------------------
>       ---+---  |

> | NIC |---
> >
>        ---+---

>  ---------+---------
> >
>  | Remote Storages |
> >
>  -------------------
>

> The figure is not very clear to me in the following points:
>
> 1) if the device emulation and virtio dataplane is all implemented in
> QEMU, what's the point of doing this? I thought the device should be a
> remove process?

2) it would be better to draw a vDPA bus somewhere to help people to
> understand the architecture
> 3) for the "offloading" I guess it should be done virtio vhost-vDPA, so
> it's better to draw a vhost-vDPA block there

This figure only shows virtio-vdpa case, I will take vhost-vdpa case into
consideration in next version.

Thanks,
Yongji