On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Peter Xu wrote: > > I kind of prefer the new suggestion to remove code rather than adding new > codes. I definitely don't know enough on the side effect of it, especially > performance-wise on either ksm or swap, but... IIUC the worst case is we'll get > some perf report later on, and it seems also not hard to revert the patch later > if we want. Well, would you be willing to try this patch out? After you apply that patch, you should be able to remove the should_force_cow_break() games entirely, because a write to the page should always break cow towards the writer if there are any GUP users around (put another way: away from the GUP). However, to make the test meaningful, it really should do some swap testing too. Linus