linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@google.com>
To: Masayoshi Mizuma <msys.mizuma@gmail.com>
Cc: Roman Gushchin <guro@fb.com>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@cmpxchg.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org>,
	 Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov.dev@gmail.com>,
	Cgroups <cgroups@vger.kernel.org>,  Linux MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>
Subject: Re: memcg: performance degradation since v5.9
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:50:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM Masayoshi Mizuma <msys.mizuma@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> > Can you please explain how to read these numbers? Or at least put a %
> > regression.
>
> Let me summarize them here.
> The total duration ('total' column above) of each system call is as follows
> if v5.8 is assumed as 100%:
>
> - sendto:
>   - v5.8         100%
>   - v5.9         128%
>   - v5.12-rc6    116%
>
> - revfrom:
>   - v5.8         100%
>   - v5.9         114%
>   - v5.12-rc6    108%

Thanks, that is helpful. Most probably the improvement of 5.12 from
5.9 is due to 3de7d4f25a7438f ("mm: memcg/slab: optimize objcg stock
draining").

[...]
> > One idea would be to increase MEMCG_CHARGE_BATCH.
>
> Thank you for the idea! It's hard-corded as 32 now, so I'm wondering it may be
> a good idea to make MEMCG_CHARGE_BATCH tunable from a kernel parameter or something.

Can you rerun the benchmark with MEMCG_CHARGE_BATCH equal 64UL?

I think with memcg stats moving to rstat, the stat accuracy is not an
issue if we increase MEMCG_CHARGE_BATCH to 64UL. Not sure if we want
this to be tuneable but most probably we do want this to be sync'ed
with SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX.