Den mån 14 okt. 2019 18:41Minchan Kim skrev: > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:04:14PM +0300, Vitaly Wool wrote: > > The coming patchset is a new take on the old issue: ZRAM can currently > be used only with zsmalloc even though this may not be the optimal > combination for some configurations. The previous (unsuccessful) attempt > dates back to 2015 [1] and is notable for the heated discussions it has > caused. > > > > The patchset in [1] had basically the only goal of enabling ZRAM/zbud > combo which had a very narrow use case. Things have changed substantially > since then, and now, with z3fold used widely as a zswap backend, I, as the > z3fold maintainer, am getting requests to re-interate on making it possible > to use ZRAM with any zpool-compatible backend, first of all z3fold. > > > > The preliminary results for this work have been delivered at Linux > Plumbers this year [2]. The talk at LPC, though having attracted limited > interest, ended in a consensus to continue the work and pursue the goal of > decoupling ZRAM from zsmalloc. > > > > The current patchset has been stress tested on arm64 and x86_64 devices, > including the Dell laptop I'm writing this message on now, not to mention > several QEmu confugirations. > > > > [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/14/356 > > [2] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/contributions/551/ > > Please describe what's the usecase in real world, what's the benefit > zsmalloc > cannot fulfill by desgin and how it's significant. > I really don't want to make fragmentaion of allocator so we should really > see > how zsmalloc cannot achieve things if you are claiming. > Please tell us how to test it so that we could investigate what's the root > cause. > Fragmentation? What do you mean by that? ~Vitaly >