linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>,
	Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>,
	Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, Linux-MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org>, Michal Hocko <mhocko@suse.com>,
	mm-commits@vger.kernel.org, ndfont@gmail.com, pbadari@us.ibm.com,
	Rafael Wysocki <rafael@kernel.org>,
	rcj@linux.vnet.ibm.com, stable <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	steve.scargall@intel.com
Subject: Re: [patch 2/5] drivers/base/memory.c: indicate all memory blocks as removable
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:11:04 +0200	[thread overview]

> Well, that may still be a perfectly fine email.
>
> Yes, it has the MIME crap, but it also has that

> which should tell all users how to _handle_ that MIME crap.
>
> It's sad that people in this day and age still don't just handle

> and just send it on untouched, but SMTP certainly encourages that bad
> behavior of "convert to 7-bit MIME crap", because in theory there
> could be SMTP servers out there that can't handle anything 8-bit or
> with longer lines.
>
> Those SMTP servers should just be scrapped and people told not to use
> them, but sadly that's not the approach email people have taken.
> They've taken the approach that old garbage SMTP servers should be
> allowed to exist and destroy email for the rest of us.

Yeah, would save us trouble :)

>> I have no idea if such a conversion is expected to be done.
>
> It is (sadly) expected to be done by a lot of mail software.
>
> But the problem is that some part of your email handling code then
> doesn't _undo_ the MIME conversion, and leaves the MIME turds alone,
> while then that "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable" got
> lost.
>
> Do you at any point end up using a raw mbox and cut-and-pasting stuff?

Just Thunderbolt for reading, and vim for editing. Really nothing
special. In this specific case, I don't think I copied anything back and
forth. Just a simple git commit and editing the message in vim.

The mail was sent around the same time the other two (?) broken mails
showed up (end of January/beginning of February) and ended up in your
mail box.

I checked my other patches that are in -next. All (especially the stuff
I sent recently) seem to be fine except one remaining patch, sent end of
February IIRC:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200228095819.10750-2-david@redhat.com

It also has this issue with long lines in one instance. And for that
patch, I still have the original commit lying around here. Did a fresh
format-patch+send-mail to another mail address (via RH mailing
infrastructure). Again, converted to

But the MIME crap (for the newline) is gone. So the issue seems to be fixed.

> Reading email in a broken mail-reader that doesn't undo MIME? Because
> that's the usual way that these kinds of turds get copied.. Using raw
> emails without honoring or taking that "Content-Transfer-Encoding"
> into account.

Again, sorry for the trouble, I suspect bad mailing infrastructure that
has been fixed. Will pay attention if this starts happening again, and
then switch to another mail server/mail address, because something
within RH mailing infrastructure is making our life more difficult than
it should be.

David / dhildenb