linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>,
	Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, Linux-MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org>, Michal Hocko <mhocko@suse.com>,
	mm-commits@vger.kernel.org, ndfont@gmail.com, pbadari@us.ibm.com,
	Rafael Wysocki <rafael@kernel.org>,
	rcj@linux.vnet.ibm.com, stable <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	steve.scargall@intel.com
Subject: Re: [patch 2/5] drivers/base/memory.c: indicate all memory blocks as removable
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:03:52 +0200	[thread overview]

On 29.03.20 18:46, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Please, David H - whatever you do with email is WRONG.
>
> Fix your completely broken email client. Stop doing this.

I'm really sorry this happened again - but I am afraid it's
not my email client that's broken :(

I've been using bare "git format-patch" + "git send-email" to
send out patches for years now, so I don't see what's wrong about that.

Now, I took a look at what arrived in my mail box (via cc) without
doing round trips through the RH mailing infrastructure and
what arrived via the mailing list:

What I received via CC (without anybody messing with my mail content):

[...]

And none of that "=" MIME crap.

Sender: owner-linux-mm@kvack.org
[...]

And a lot of this MIME crap.

I have no idea if such a conversion is expected to be done.

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
>>  [...]
>> According to Nathan Fontenot, DLPAR on powerpc is nowadays no longer
>> driven from userspace via the drmgr command (powerpc-utils). Nowadays
>> it's managed in the kernel - including onlining/offlining of memory
>> blocks - triggered by drmgr writing to /sys/kernel/dlpar. So the
>> affected legacy userspace handling is only active on old kernels. Only ve=
>> ry
>> old versions of drmgr on a new kernel (unlikely) might execute slower -
>> totally acceptable.
>>
>> With CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE, always indicating "removable" should not
>> break any user space tool. We implement a very bad heuristic now.  Withou=
>> CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE we cannot offline anything, so report
>> "not removable" as before.
>
> Notice the bogus MIME line continuation left-overs?
>
>   [...] Only ve=
>   ry
>
> and
>
>   [...] Withou=
>
> is just completely wrong.

Yes, absolutely broken.

> You either have a completely broken email client that doesn't handle
> MIME at all - get rid of it - or you're then dealing with raw mbox
> data in a completely broken manner without handling MIME wrapping.

Again, just using git send-email :/

> > I can't figure out _what_ you're doing wrong, but the pattern is clear
> by now: it's not Andrew (although Andrew should check explanations
> better!), since it _only_ happens with patches from David Hildenbrand.
>
> Fix your workflow. Because it's broken.

Let's have a look at some stuff I sent out during the last weeks:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200319131221.14044-1-david@redhat.com

Already the cover letter looks horrible:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-hyperv/20200319131221.14044-1-david@redhat.com/raw

And *again* does not match at all what I received directly via cc in my
mail box (== what I expect was sent via "git send-email").

Even the patch content has been partially converted

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-hyperv/20200319131221.14044-2-david@redhat.com/raw

Unless I am missing something important, the issue is not in mail client
setup, but there is something in the mailing infrastructure horribly
messing with my mails. Red Hat has recently switched to Mimecast and
there have been plenty of issues, maybe this is one of these.

I guess the only thing I can do is sending mails via a different mail
server / different email address?

I'll double check if any other patches still queued in -next are
similarly broken. I guess so.

David / dhildenb