linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: Hesham Almatary <hesham.almatary@huawei.com>
To: Yang Shi <shy828301@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@linux.intel.com>,
	Huang Ying <ying.huang@intel.com>,
	"Dan Williams" <dan.j.williams@intel.com>,
	Linux MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>, "Greg Thelen" <gthelen@google.com>,
	Aneesh Kumar K.V <aneesh.kumar@linux.ibm.com>,
	Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@linux.ibm.com>,
	Alistair Popple <apopple@nvidia.com>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <dave@stgolabs.net>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org>,
	"Baolin Wang" <baolin.wang@linux.alibaba.com>,
	Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@gmail.com>,
	Feng Tang <feng.tang@intel.com>,
	Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@linux.intel.com>,
	"Wei Xu" <weixugc@google.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 10:59:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Yang,

On 5/10/2022 4:24 AM, Yang Shi wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 7:32 AM Hesham Almatary
> <hesham.almatary@huawei.com> wrote:
>> Hello Yang,

>>> Sorry for the late reply.
>>>
>>> Yes, 2-dimensional array. With it we could know what nodes in what tiers.

>>> Yeah, it doesn't have to be ordered.

>>> This is why I hope firmware could chime in, for example, we may have a
>>> new field, called "Tier", in HMAT. Then kernel just reads the field
>>> and put the node into proper tier. But of course override by kernel
>>> could be allowed.

>>> Just start from something simple. And we should fully utilize the
>>> nearest lower tier before demoting to lower lower tiers.
>> There might still be simple cases/topologies where we might want to "skip"
>> the very next lower tier. For example, assume we have a 3 tiered memory
>> system as follows:
>>
>> node 0 has a CPU and DDR memory in tier 0, node 1 has GPU and DDR memory
>> in tier 0,
>> node 2 has NVMM memory in tier 1, node 3 has some sort of bigger memory
>> (could be a bigger DDR or something) in tier 2. The distances are as
>> follows:
>>
>> --------------          --------------
>> |   Node 0   |          |   Node 1   |
>> |  -------   |          |  -------   |
>> | |  DDR  |  |          | |  DDR  |  |
>> |  -------   |          |  -------   |
>> |            |          |            |
>> --------------          --------------
>>          | 20               | 120    |
>>          v                  v        |
>> ----------------------------       |
>> | Node 2     PMEM          |       | 100
>> ----------------------------       |
>>          | 100                       |
>>          v                           v
>> --------------------------------------
>> | Node 3    Large mem                |
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>> node distances:
>> node   0    1    2    3
>>      0  10   20   20  120
>>      1  20   10  120  100
>>      2  20  120   10  100
>>      3  120 100  100   10
>>
>> /sys/devices/system/node/memory_tiers
>> 0-1
>> 2
>> 3
>>
>> N_TOPTIER_MEMORY: 0-1
>>

>> In this case, we want to be able to "skip" the demotion path from Node 1
>> to Node 2,
>>
>> and make demotion go directely to Node 3 as it is closer, distance wise.
>> How can
>>
>> we accommodate this scenario (or at least not rule it out as future
>> work) with the
>>
>> current RFC?
> If I remember correctly NUMA distance is hardcoded in SLIT by the
> firmware, it is supposed to reflect the latency. So I suppose it is
> the firmware's responsibility to have correct information. And the RFC
> assumes higher tier memory has better performance than lower tier
> memory (latency, bandwidth, throughput, etc), so it sounds like a
> buggy firmware to have lower tier memory with shorter distance than
> [...]

You are correct if you're assuming the topology is all hierarchically

symmetric, but unfortuantely, in real hardware (e.g., my example above)

it is not. The distance/latency between two nodes in the same tier

and a third node, is different. The firmware still provides the correct

latency, but putting a node in a tier is up to the kernel/user, and

is relative: e.g., Node 3 could belong to tier 1 from Node 1's

perspective, but to tier 2 from Node 0's.

A more detailed example (building on my previous one) is when having

the GPU connected to a switch:

----------------------------
| Node 2     PMEM          |
----------------------------
       ^

--------------          --------------
|   Node 0   |          |   Node 1   |
|  -------   |          |  -------   |
| |  DDR  |  |          | |  DDR  |  |
|  -------   |          |  -------   |
|    CPU     |          |    GPU     |
--------------          --------------
        |                  |
        v                  v
|         Switch           |

| Node 3    Large mem                |

Here, demoting from Node 1 to Node 3 directly would be faster as

it only has to go through one hub, compared to demoting from Node 1

to Node 2, where it goes through two hubs. I hope that example

clarifies things a little bit.