linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: Peter Weber <peter.weber@flapflap.eu>
To: linux-mm@kvack.org
Subject: Is anonymous memory part of the page cache on Linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:43:33 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello!
Hopefully I'm asking here in the right place and don't disturb.

Is anonymous memory - i.e. program heap and stack - part of the page
cache on Linux? The documentation[1] of the kernel does not state that.
But the Wikipedia entry about page cache contains a graphic[2] (look at
the top right) which gives me the impression that 'malloc()' allocates
dynamic memory within the page cache.
Is it possible that the page cache serves as general foundation for
memory management on Linux? Taking into account that `mmap()` also
allows for anonymous mappings this could fit together?

I've asked this originally on Stackoverflow[3].

Thank you
Peter

[1]
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/mm/concepts.html#anonymous-memory