linux-modules.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* kallmodsyms: just checking my expectations...
@ 2022-09-22 16:49 Nick Alcock
From: Nick Alcock @ 2022-09-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, Luis Chamberlain; +Cc: linux-modules

Just syncing up briefly after LPC: thanks ever so much for your
attendance and amazingly helpful comments, the session worked because
you were there :)

So, I'm planning for the next version of the kallmodsyms patch series to
have objfile disambiguation via {...} for otherwise-ambiguous symbols in
the core kernel, but not yet in modules (because that's considerably
trickier and can be incrementally added to a working kallmodsyms). I'll
redo the cover letter to emphasise its role as a way to disambiguate all
symbols from each other.

... was there anything else? I can't recall anything else myself and my
notes don't mention anything, but I could be wrong and I'd rather not
waste your time with a patch posting that is doing the wrong thing.

* Re: kallmodsyms: just checking my expectations...
@ 2022-09-22 17:14 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-09-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Alcock; +Cc: Luis Chamberlain, linux-modules

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:49:50 +0100
Nick Alcock <nick.alcock@oracle.com> wrote:

> Just syncing up briefly after LPC: thanks ever so much for your
> attendance and amazingly helpful comments, the session worked because
> you were there :)
>

> So, I'm planning for the next version of the kallmodsyms patch series to
> have objfile disambiguation via {...} for otherwise-ambiguous symbols in
> the core kernel, but not yet in modules (because that's considerably
> trickier and can be incrementally added to a working kallmodsyms). I'll
> redo the cover letter to emphasise its role as a way to disambiguate all
> symbols from each other.
>
> ... was there anything else? I can't recall anything else myself and my
> notes don't mention anything, but I could be wrong and I'd rather not
> waste your time with a patch posting that is doing the wrong thing.

Best just post the patch. My mind is lost for what was discussed ;-)

-- Steve