Linux-Modules Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Support for /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d
@ 2020-07-02  1:20 Jan Tojnar
  2020-07-07  6:34 ` Lucas De Marchi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Jan Tojnar @ 2020-07-02  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules

Hello.

We are working with a project that ships a blacklist file [1] that is
supposed to be installed to modprobe.d directory but it is not clear
what the default installation path should be.

Distros will typically install modprobe config files to
/lib/modprobe.d but it is common to use /usr/local as the default
prefix [2] for manual `make` invocations. The manual page [3] does not
list /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d as a supported location though.

In the past module-init-tools added [4] support for that path but that
repo appears to be abandoned and it does not look like kmod supports
it [5].

1. Am I missing something, or was this an omission when porting
modprobe to kmod?
2. Could the support be added?
3. Should we default to /lib or /etc for manual `make` invocations for
now?

[1]: 
https://github.com/medusalix/xow/blob/4aa49f27cb6fcb3da995da9e8d51167bed40f520/Makefile#L22
[2]: 
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html#index-prefix
[3]: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/modprobe.d.5.html
[4]: 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/module-init-tools/module-init-tools.git/commit/?id=9454d710137be3799f343cc9d0f833f0802e2111
[5]: 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/tree/libkmod/libkmod.c?id=f5434cf5fc5b567359e1b9207bbab24c6782cfbd#n65

Cheers,

Jan


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: Support for /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d
  2020-07-02  1:20 Support for /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d Jan Tojnar
@ 2020-07-07  6:34 ` Lucas De Marchi
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: Lucas De Marchi @ 2020-07-07  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Tojnar; +Cc: linux-modules

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:21 PM Jan Tojnar <jtojnar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> We are working with a project that ships a blacklist file [1] that is
> supposed to be installed to modprobe.d directory but it is not clear
> what the default installation path should be.
>
> Distros will typically install modprobe config files to
> /lib/modprobe.d but it is common to use /usr/local as the default
> prefix [2] for manual `make` invocations. The manual page [3] does not
> list /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d as a supported location though.
>
> In the past module-init-tools added [4] support for that path but that
> repo appears to be abandoned and it does not look like kmod supports
> it [5].
>
> 1. Am I missing something, or was this an omission when porting
> modprobe to kmod?
> 2. Could the support be added?

That is probably because we don't default prefix to /usr/local so people never
actually needed it. Yes, I think we could add. Could you prepare a
patch for that?

> 3. Should we default to /lib or /etc for manual `make` invocations for
> now?

/lib is where packages should install and /etc is up to the system
admin to set up.
if we add /usr/local, then override order would be /etc, /usr/local/lib, /lib.

Lucas De Marchi

>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/medusalix/xow/blob/4aa49f27cb6fcb3da995da9e8d51167bed40f520/Makefile#L22
> [2]:
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html#index-prefix
> [3]: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/modprobe.d.5.html
> [4]:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/module-init-tools/module-init-tools.git/commit/?id=9454d710137be3799f343cc9d0f833f0802e2111
> [5]:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/tree/libkmod/libkmod.c?id=f5434cf5fc5b567359e1b9207bbab24c6782cfbd#n65
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jan
>


-- 
Lucas De Marchi

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-07-02  1:20 Support for /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d Jan Tojnar
2020-07-07  6:34 ` Lucas De Marchi

Linux-Modules Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-modules/0 linux-modules/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-modules linux-modules/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-modules \
		linux-modules@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-modules

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-modules


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git