linux-mtd.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
From: Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@streamunlimited.com>
To: JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-mtd <linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org>,
	openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: [OE-core] Failed to add u-boot ubifs (not working)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 10:05:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi JH,

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 10:00:27AM +1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On 2/3/20, Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@streamunlimited.com> wrote:
> > Hi JH,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +1100, JH wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?
> >>
> >> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"
> >>

> > Also, you need to select UBOOT_CONFIG somewhere, with the above line,
> > you just say "if nand is selected as an UBOOT_CONFIG, do xyz". You still
> > need to select it (with I assume, UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" in a bbappend
> > somewhere).
>
> Sorry for not being it clear, I indeed defined UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
> in the local.conf. Should I define it as UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" or
> should I move it to a u-boot bbappend?

From what you say below, it was defined in a machine configuration file,
so modify it there. It;s fine *for debugging purposes* to modify the
original file but in the case of machine configuration file, once you've
settled with some modifications, you need to create a new one in your
own layer and add the changes there so they can be shared with people
(conf/local.conf is NOT supposed to be shared).

But UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand" looks decent to me (it's a machine specific
variable, so rather set it in the machine configuration file).

> > What's in your mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config?
>
> The mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs was from a tip found and copied
> from Internet, but the original definition is from included
> meta-freescale/conf/machine/imx6ullevk.conf:
>
> UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sd"
> UBOOT_CONFIG[sd] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,sdcard"
> UBOOT_CONFIG[mfgtool] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config"
>
> I tried to use UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,ubifs", no avail.

I'd first have a look what this ",sdcard" thing is doing (c.f.
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot.inc?h=thud).

> > I haven't used that option before but what's ,ubifs supposed to do? Are
> > you sure this nand option for UBOOT_CONFIG would actually create a .imx
> > and not a .ubifs for example or something along those lines.
> >
> > TL;DR: Make sure UBOOT_CONFIG has nand in it, check that .imx is built
> > with your defconfig and check that you're actually enabling the UBI
> > command in your defconfig.
>
> Yes, all enabled in my kernel 4.19.75:

You're mixing things up. If you want the ubi command to be present in
U-Boot, you need to put it in the U-Boot defconfig. Kernel defconfig has
nothing to do with it. Though, you might want ubi support in the kernel
but that's unrelated to your current issue.

> CONFIG_MTD_UBI=y
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_WL_THRESHOLD=4096
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BEB_LIMIT=20
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_FASTMAP=y
> # CONFIG_MTD_UBI_GLUEBI is not set
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BLOCK=y
> CONFIG_DTC=y
> CONFIG_OF=y
>
> > Also, it would be helpful if you could give links to the recipes you're
> > using. I seem to recall in some other mail it was
> > http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb?h=sumo
> > but it could be thud version as well.

I've seen a few mails from you recently on the mailing list which are
more or less sequels to previous mails. FWIW, we have an IRC channel on
freenode at #yocto, that might be helpful if you have quick questions
(e.g. your "applying a patch" mail).

I find Yocto to not be the most forgiving when copy-pasting stuff from
the internet. I'd suggest to invest a little bit of time in reading the
source code of what you're trying to modify (u-boot recipes, classes,
etc.), you also have an extensive documentation here:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.6.4/mega-manual/mega-manual.html
it is a manual containing all the other manuals you can find per topic
here: https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/

I can also suggest Live coding sessions with Jozef on the project's YT
channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoctoProject. (It's Twitch
streams uploaded to YT so if you'd rather watch when he's streaming:
https://www.twitch.tv/letoatreidesthe2nd

I want to end those recommendations on a note: sending mails is perfectly
fine :)

Have fun with Yocto,
Quentin