Hello, On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:19:13AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > This abstracts away attaching of the right ubi and then selecting the right > ubi device and volume to mount. > > As described in the comment at the top this allows to mount ubifs volumes > directly from /etc/fstab without having to use hardcoded numbers (which > depend on mount order and so are unreliable) and extra magic to care for > attaching. > > Signed-off-by: Uwe Kleine-König > --- > Hello, > > this is a nice script that helps attaching ubis and mounting ubifs'. I > already discussed this a bit with Richard on irc and the idea was > welcome in principle. > > A concern was that the entry in /etc/fstab is too magic and there should > be an indication that this relies on the mount helper. Something like > using ubifs.autoattach as file system type (fs_vfstype) or requiring > "autoattach" in the fourth field (fs_mntops). > > Having thought a bit I'm not convinced we need this indication. Yes > there is magic but nothing out of the ordinary as mount helpers are a > known concept and the fs_spec already looks interesting enough to make > it obvious there is something going on. And once people are used to the > magic it is annoying to have to always write this indication in your > fstab. Additionally it complicates the implementation. > > Also "autoattach" doesn't completely cover the script as it does a > translation from mtd name to mtd number, too. "autoattach,mtdtranslate" > seems a bit excessive. I didn't hear any feedback here. Is reviewing this patch still on somebody's todo list? Best regards Uwe -- Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König | Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |