linux-mtd.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-02 10:35 JH
From: JH @ 2019-10-02 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

My understinding is that MTD manages the NAND bad blocks, but can the
MTD prevent bad blocks happening?

My iMX6 NAND device was only up and running about a month, it now
failed to boot from NAND due to the bad blocks:

Questions:

(a) what could be common cause to trigger bad blacks?
(b) if I reflush the NAND will the bad blacks recovered or just mapped
it to bad block list?

Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
[FAILED] Failed to mount Kernel Debug File System.
[FAILED] Failed to mount Temporary Directory (/tmp).
[FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
[FAILED] Failed to mount /var/volatile.
[FAILED] Failed to mount FUSE Control File System.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-02 16:09 ` Steve deRosier
From: Steve deRosier @ 2019-10-02 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:35 AM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My understinding is that MTD manages the NAND bad blocks, but can the
> MTD prevent bad blocks happening?

In short, No.

> My iMX6 NAND device was only up and running about a month, it now
> failed to boot from NAND due to the bad blocks:
>
> Questions:
>
> (a) what could be common cause to trigger bad blacks?

NAND flash gets bit errors. It happens and there's no way to prevent
it, you can only manage it.  However, it's important to note that a
bit-error != Bad Block.

> (b) if I reflush the NAND will the bad blacks recovered or just mapped
> it to bad block list?

I assume by "reflush" you mean "reflash"?  Not necessarily. You don't
know what the problem is, therefore you don't know what will help.

> Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
> Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01

For a system running with a BBT, this is a normal and good message. It
doesn't indicate a problem - it is just telling you where the driver
is keeping the BBT.

> [FAILED] Failed to mount Kernel Debug File System.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount Temporary Directory (/tmp).
> [FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount /var/volatile.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount FUSE Control File System.

These messages don't indicate anything useful at all. Your assertion
is that you have developed "bad blocks". An assertion that can't be
validated by the above messages. Hence an assumption. In fact, I don't
believe it has anything to do with your flash at all, considering that
most of those aren't physical file systems, but virtual ones that
don't use the flash.

In short - you may or may not have flash corruption issues, but the
above messages don't tell us anything at all one way or the other.

Even if you do have flash errors, you're more likely to have developed
bit errors and your ECC is set at too low a threshold for your flash.
Or you're not scrubbing properly. Or you didn't write the flash with
proper ECC data. There's a large number of possible problems. Normal
bit-rot is transient and manageable. Developing bad blocks is somewhat
more rare.

If you want a list of possible things to verify w/re: to the flash, I
suggest you read this post:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2018-December/086331.html

I suggest you give us the actual kernel log error messages so we can
advise better.

- Steve

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-02 16:13 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2019-10-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My understinding is that MTD manages the NAND bad blocks, but can the
> MTD prevent bad blocks happening?

It does not. UBI does by applying wear-leveling.

> My iMX6 NAND device was only up and running about a month, it now
> failed to boot from NAND due to the bad blocks:

Why do you think so?

> Questions:
>
> (a) what could be common cause to trigger bad blacks?

Mostly due to block aging.

> (b) if I reflush the NAND will the bad blacks recovered or just mapped
> it to bad block list?

A bad block will be bad forever.

> Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
> Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01

Having a bad block table is nothing bad.

> [FAILED] Failed to mount Kernel Debug File System.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount Temporary Directory (/tmp).
> [FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount /var/volatile.
> [FAILED] Failed to mount FUSE Control File System.

This lines are useless. Why exactly is it failing? And *what* fails?

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-03 11:14   ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-10-03 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: linux-mtd

Thanks Richard and Steve.

On 10/3/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My understinding is that MTD manages the NAND bad blocks, but can the
>> MTD prevent bad blocks happening?
>
> It does not. UBI does by applying wear-leveling.

I should mention it is the rootfs using ubifs, the kernel is 5.1.

>> My iMX6 NAND device was only up and running about a month, it now
>> failed to boot from NAND due to the bad blocks:
>
> Why do you think so?

I was told by hardware engineer, it was broken by bad block problem.

>> (a) what could be common cause to trigger bad blacks?
>
> Mostly due to block aging.

>> (b) if I reflush the NAND will the bad blacks recovered or just mapped
>> it to bad block list?
>
> A bad block will be bad forever.

>> Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
>> Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
>
> Having a bad block table is nothing bad.

So that was not the cause to break the boot.

>> [FAILED] Failed to mount Kernel Debug File System.
>> [FAILED] Failed to mount Temporary Directory (/tmp).
>> [FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
>> [FAILED] Failed to mount /var/volatile.
>> [FAILED] Failed to mount FUSE Control File System.
>
> This lines are useless. Why exactly is it failing? And *what* fails?

After those lines, the boot stopped in an emergent mode in a prompt to
suggest to log in by Ctl-D, but that could not work, I was not able to
log into the file system, nor can I get kernel log. From your
experience, what could be likely the causes, hardware or software?

Thanks Steve and Richard.

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-03 13:28     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2019-10-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was told by hardware engineer, it was broken by bad block problem.

Did he inspect the filesystem in detail?
If he said so based on the same information you shared with us, it was
pure guesswork.

> After those lines, the boot stopped in an emergent mode in a prompt to
> suggest to log in by Ctl-D, but that could not work, I was not able to
> log into the file system, nor can I get kernel log. From your
> experience, what could be likely the causes, hardware or software?

Without logs I cannot say anything, sorry.

//richard

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-03 21:26       ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-10-03 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: linux-mtd

On 10/3/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was told by hardware engineer, it was broken by bad block problem.
>
> Did he inspect the filesystem in detail?
> If he said so based on the same information you shared with us, it was
> pure guesswork.

Yep, he did.

>> After those lines, the boot stopped in an emergent mode in a prompt to
>> suggest to log in by Ctl-D, but that could not work, I was not able to
>> log into the file system, nor can I get kernel log. From your
>> experience, what could be likely the causes, hardware or software?
>
> Without logs I cannot say anything, sorry.

That's ok, as long as I learned it is not caused by bad blocks, I
doubt the software caused meltdown, even the full of file system would
not cause the damage if NAND. So, my finger would point to hardware
problems.

Thanks Richard,

- jh

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-03 23:44         ` Steve deRosier
From: Steve deRosier @ 2019-10-03 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Richard Weinberger, linux-mtd

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I was told by hardware engineer, it was broken by bad block problem.
> >
> > Did he inspect the filesystem in detail?
> > If he said so based on the same information you shared with us, it was
> > pure guesswork.
>
> Yep, he did.
>
> >> After those lines, the boot stopped in an emergent mode in a prompt to
> >> suggest to log in by Ctl-D, but that could not work, I was not able to
> >> log into the file system, nor can I get kernel log. From your
> >> experience, what could be likely the causes, hardware or software?
> >
> > Without logs I cannot say anything, sorry.
>
> That's ok, as long as I learned it is not caused by bad blocks, I
> doubt the software caused meltdown, even the full of file system would
> not cause the damage if NAND. So, my finger would point to hardware
> problems.

Don't be so fast - you don't have enough information to determine what
the problem is. That it is or is not a hardware or a software problem.
You need real kernel logs from the system to even begin to have a
clue.  In my experience there's often many things wrong and you're
only going to figure out what the root cause is by understanding the
system. "it's not a software problem" and throwing it back over the
wall to the hardware team is just going to result in them turning
around and doing the same to you.

Honestly - it likely is a software problem. Configuration or bug or
process issue. But fundamentally you don't know because you don't have
meaningful error messages.

Your error messages should show on the bootup terminal output. If
you're suppressing the kernel log messages, change it so you can read
them, boot to failure and scroll back and see what's there.

- Steve

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-04  6:36           ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-10-04  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve deRosier; +Cc: Richard Weinberger, linux-mtd

On 10/4/19, Steve deRosier <derosier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Did he inspect the filesystem in detail?
>> > If he said so based on the same information you shared with us, it was
>> > pure guesswork.
>>
>> Yep, he did.

>> > Without logs I cannot say anything, sorry.
>>
>> That's ok, as long as I learned it is not caused by bad blocks, I
>> doubt the software caused meltdown, even the full of file system would
>> not cause the damage if NAND. So, my finger would point to hardware
>> problems.
>>

> Don't be so fast - you don't have enough information to determine what
> the problem is. That it is or is not a hardware or a software problem.
> You need real kernel logs from the system to even begin to have a
> clue.  In my experience there's often many things wrong and you're
> only going to figure out what the root cause is by understanding the
> system. "it's not a software problem" and throwing it back over the
> wall to the hardware team is just going to result in them turning
> around and doing the same to you.

You are right, I would not say to the hardware engineer it was the
hardware problem.

> Honestly - it likely is a software problem. Configuration or bug or
> process issue. But fundamentally you don't know because you don't have
> meaningful error messages.

Yeah, that is the problem, I could not access the file system.

> Your error messages should show on the bootup terminal output. If
> you're suppressing the kernel log messages, change it so you can read
> them, boot to failure and scroll back and see what's there.

I did checked the full boot message, could not figure out what could
be causes. Sorry, I attached following lengthy full boot message here
in case if anyone doesn't mind to read it.

U-Boot 2018.03-g4505467374-dirty (Jun 24 2019 - 07:07:18 +0000)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6ULZ rev1.1 900 MHz (running at 396 MHz)
CPU:   Commercial temperature grade (0C to 95C) at 49C
Reset cause: POR
Model: Freescale i.MX6 ULZ 14x14 EVK Board
Board: MX6ULZ 14x14 EVK
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0
environment

Failed (-5)
No panel detected: default to TFT43AB
Display: TFT43AB (480x272)
Video: LCDIF@0x21c8000 is fused, disable it
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   No ethernet found.
Normal Boot
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Booting image 1

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x800000, size 0x2000000
 33554432 bytes read: OK

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x600000, size 0x200000
 2097152 bytes read: OK
Kernel image @ 0x80800000 [ 0x000000 - 0x89e1d8 ]
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 83000000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x83000000
   Using Device Tree in place at 83000000, end 83008a3b
ft_system_setup for mx6

Starting kernel ...

[    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
[    0.000000] Linux version 5.1.0-rc4 (oe-user@oe-host) (gcc version
8.2.0 (GCC)) #1 SMP Fri Jul 19 10:17:53 UTC 2019
[    0.000000] CPU: ARMv7 Processor [410fc075] revision 5 (ARMv7), cr=10c5387d
[    0.000000] CPU: div instructions available: patching division code
[    0.000000] CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing
instruction cache
[    0.000000] OF: fdt: Machine model: Traverse PMU
[    0.000000] earlycon: ec_imx6q0 at MMIO 0x02020000 (options '')
[    0.000000] printk: bootconsole [ec_imx6q0] enabled
[    0.000000] Memory policy: Data cache writealloc
[    0.000000] cma: Reserved 64 MiB at 0x8c000000
[    0.000000] random: get_random_bytes called from
start_kernel+0x88/0x498 with crng_init=0
[    0.000000] percpu: Embedded 18 pages/cpu @(ptrval) s42152 r8192
d23384 u73728
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 65024
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 earlycon
init=/init mtdparts=gpmi-nand:4m(boot),2m(ubootenv),2m(dtb),32m(kernel1),32m(kernel2),-(u1
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
[    0.000000] Memory: 167912K/262144K available (11264K kernel code,
957K rwdata, 4016K rodata, 1024K init, 7759K bss, 28696K reserved,
65536K cma-reserved,)
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] Running RCU self tests
[    0.000000] rcu: Hierarchical RCU implementation.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU event tracing is enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU lockdep checking is enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU restricting CPUs from NR_CPUS=4 to nr_cpu_ids=1.
[    0.000000] rcu: RCU calculated value of scheduler-enlistment delay
is 10 jiffies.
[    0.000000] rcu: Adjusting geometry for rcu_fanout_leaf=16, nr_cpu_ids=1
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS: 16, nr_irqs: 16, preallocated irqs: 16
[    0.000000] Switching to timer-based delay loop, resolution 41ns
[    0.000020] sched_clock: 32 bits at 24MHz, resolution 41ns, wraps
every 89478484971ns
[    0.007841] clocksource: mxc_timer1: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles:
0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 79635851949 ns
[    0.020743] Console: colour dummy device 80x30
[    0.022433] Lock dependency validator: Copyright (c) 2006 Red Hat,
Inc., Ingo Molnar
[    0.030976] ... MAX_LOCKDEP_SUBCLASSES:  8
[    0.034255] ... MAX_LOCK_DEPTH:          48
[    0.038432] ... MAX_LOCKDEP_KEYS:        8191
[    0.042878] ... CLASSHASH_SIZE:          4096
[    0.047130] ... MAX_LOCKDEP_ENTRIES:     32768
[    0.051568] ... MAX_LOCKDEP_CHAINS:      65536
[    0.056080] ... CHAINHASH_SIZE:          32768
[    0.060443]  memory used by lock dependency info: 5243 kB
[    0.065836]  per task-struct memory footprint: 1536 bytes
[    0.071454] Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated
using timer frequency.. 48.00 BogoMIPS (lpj=240000)
[    0.081683] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.087076] Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.092944] Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.105333] *** VALIDATE proc ***
[    0.107415] *** VALIDATE cgroup1 ***
[    0.109429] *** VALIDATE cgroup2 ***
[    0.113008] CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
[    0.120820] /cpus/cpu@0 missing clock-frequency property
[    0.123533] CPU0: thread -1, cpu 0, socket 0, mpidr 80000000
[    0.134792] Setting up static identity map for 0x80100000 - 0x80100078
[    0.139896] rcu: Hierarchical SRCU implementation.
[    0.147572] smp: Bringing up secondary CPUs ...
[    0.149311] smp: Brought up 1 node, 1 CPU
[    0.153304] SMP: Total of 1 processors activated (48.00 BogoMIPS).
[    0.159652] CPU: All CPU(s) started in SVC mode.
[    0.171440] devtmpfs: initialized
[    0.209634] VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architecture 2 part 30
variant 7 rev 5
[    0.216702] clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles:
0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112604462750000 ns
[    0.224550] futex hash table entries: 256 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
[    0.236652] pinctrl core: initialized pinctrl subsystem
[    0.251598] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.312381] DMA: preallocated 256 KiB pool for atomic coherent allocations
[    0.324702] cpuidle: using governor menu
[    0.360531] vdd3p0: supplied by regulator-dummy
[    0.366441] cpu: supplied by regulator-dummy
[    0.371887] vddsoc: supplied by regulator-dummy
[    0.417888] No ATAGs?
[    0.418592] hw-breakpoint: found 5 (+1 reserved) breakpoint and 4
watchpoint registers.
[    0.426407] hw-breakpoint: maximum watchpoint size is 8 bytes.
[    0.441233] imx6ul-pinctrl 20e0000.iomuxc: initialized IMX pinctrl driver
[    0.447210] imx6ul-pinctrl 2290000.iomuxc-snvs: no groups defined
in /soc/aips-bus@2200000/iomuxc-snvs@2290000
[    0.455241] imx6ul-pinctrl 2290000.iomuxc-snvs: initialized IMX
pinctrl driver
[    0.605091] mxs-dma 1804000.dma-apbh: initialized
[    0.617322] vgaarb: loaded
[    0.620125] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    0.624426] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    0.628041] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    0.632923] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    0.640600] media: Linux media interface: v0.10
[    0.642570] videodev: Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[    0.649142] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    0.652766] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007
Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@linux.it>
[    0.662184] PTP clock support registered
[    0.668159] Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Initialized.
[    0.678663] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    0.679715] NET: Registered protocol family 31
[    0.684068] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    0.690490] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    0.695286] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    0.700475] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    0.711109] clocksource: Switched to clocksource mxc_timer1
[    2.186322] VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.6.0
[    2.187802] VFS: Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
[    2.263331] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    2.270257] tcp_listen_portaddr_hash hash table entries: 128
(order: 0, 5120 bytes)
[    2.275687] TCP established hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    2.282595] TCP bind hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 73728 bytes)
[    2.289082] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 2048 bind 2048)
[    2.296310] UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 2, 20480 bytes)
[    2.301214] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 2, 20480 bytes)
[    2.308146] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    2.317247] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[    2.320541] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[    2.325450] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[    2.329916] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
[    2.345957] hw perfevents: enabled with armv7_cortex_a7 PMU driver,
5 counters available
[    2.362619] Initialise system trusted keyrings
[    2.366106] workingset: timestamp_bits=30 max_order=16 bucket_order=0
[    2.419270] NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
[    2.422320] Key type id_resolver registered
[    2.425730] Key type id_legacy registered
[    2.430121] jffs2: version 2.2. (NAND) © 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
[    2.439454] fuse init (API version 7.29)
[    2.535396] Key type asymmetric registered
[    2.537020] Asymmetric key parser 'x509' registered
[    2.543723] io scheduler mq-deadline registered
[    2.546097] io scheduler kyber registered
[    2.573333] imx-sdma 20ec000.sdma: Direct firmware load for
imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q.bin failed with error -2
[    2.580243] imx-sdma 20ec000.sdma: Falling back to syfs fallback
for: imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q.bin
[    2.619406] printk: console [ttymxc0] enabled
[    2.624297] printk: bootconsole [ec_imx6q0] disabled
[    2.631542] random: fast init done
[    2.643677] 21e8000.serial: ttymxc1 at MMIO 0x21e8000 (irq = 50,
base_baud = 5000000) is a IMX
[    2.657514] 21f0000.serial: ttymxc3 at MMIO 0x21f0000 (irq = 51,
base_baud = 5000000) is a IMX
[    2.764057] brd: module loaded
[    2.833811] loop: module loaded
[    2.879822] nand: device found, Manufacturer ID: 0xef, Chip ID: 0xda
[    2.886527] nand: Winbond W29N02GV
[    2.890038] nand: 256 MiB, SLC, erase size: 128 KiB, page size:
2048, OOB size: 64
[    2.903981] Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
[    2.910824] Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
[    2.918440] 6 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device gpmi-nand
[    2.924934] Creating 6 MTD partitions on "gpmi-nand":
[    2.930120] 0x000000000000-0x000000400000 : "boot"
[    2.956533] 0x000000400000-0x000000600000 : "ubootenv"
[    2.974802] 0x000000600000-0x000000800000 : "dtb"
[    2.992638] 0x000000800000-0x000002800000 : "kernel1"
[    3.050303] 0x000002800000-0x000004800000 : "kernel2"
[    3.108184] 0x000004800000-0x000010000000 : "ubi"
[    3.366580] gpmi-nand 1806000.gpmi-nand: driver registered.
[    3.380236] libphy: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    3.388114] CAN device driver interface
[    3.397695] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152
[    3.403745] usbcore: registered new interface driver lan78xx
[    3.409823] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
[    3.415759] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a
[    3.422359] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[    3.428613] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
[    3.434851] usbcore: registered new interface driver net1080
[    3.440999] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
[    3.447258] usbcore: registered new interface driver zaurus
[    3.453357] usbcore: registered new interface driver MOSCHIP
usb-ethernet driver
[    3.461380] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm
[    3.467368] usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
[    3.473369] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[    3.479995] ehci-pci: EHCI PCI platform driver
[    3.484901] ehci-mxc: Freescale On-Chip EHCI Host driver
[    3.492047] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
[    3.498155] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    3.510549] imx_usb 2184000.usb: No over current polarity defined
[    3.707122] imx_usb 2184200.usb: 2184200.usb supply vbus not found,
using dummy regulator
[    3.722611] ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.1: EHCI Host Controller
[    3.728546] ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    3.761274] ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.1: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[    3.770155] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b,
idProduct=0002, bcdDevice= 5.01
[    3.779159] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2,
SerialNumber=1
[    3.786644] usb usb1: Product: EHCI Host Controller
[    3.791769] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 5.1.0-rc4 ehci_hcd
[    3.797537] usb usb1: SerialNumber: ci_hdrc.1
[    3.811992] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    3.816554] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[    3.838398] input: 20cc000.snvs:snvs-powerkey as
/devices/soc0/soc/2000000.aips-bus/20cc000.snvs/20cc000.snvs:snvs-powerkey/input/input0
[    3.867744] snvs_rtc 20cc000.snvs:snvs-rtc-lp: registered as rtc0
[    3.875054] i2c /dev entries driver
[    3.895722] imx2-wdt 20bc000.wdog: timeout 60 sec (nowayout=0)
[    3.903370] Bluetooth: HCI UART driver ver 2.3
[    3.907940] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol H4 registered
[    3.913554] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol LL registered
[    3.921954] sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
[    3.928249] sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
[    3.933587] sdhci-pltfm: SDHCI platform and OF driver helper
[    3.992450] mmc0: SDHCI controller on 2190000.usdhc [2190000.usdhc]
using ADMA
[    4.028277] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    4.034359] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[    4.096782] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    4.122741] Segment Routing with IPv6
[    4.127141] sit: IPv6, IPv4 and MPLS over IPv4 tunneling driver
[    4.145670] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    4.150322] can: controller area network core (rev 20170425 abi 9)
[    4.181595] NET: Registered protocol family 29
[    4.186185] can: raw protocol (rev 20170425)
[    4.191093] can: broadcast manager protocol (rev 20170425 t)
[    4.204443] mmc0: Tuning failed, falling back to fixed sampling clock
[    4.211646] can: netlink gateway (rev 20170425) max_hops=1
[    4.218423] Key type dns_resolver registered
[    4.251192] cpu cpu0: failed to disable 696MHz OPP
[    4.269933] mmc0: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDIO card at address 0001
[    4.281074] Registering SWP/SWPB emulation handler
[    4.401264] imx_thermal tempmon: Commercial CPU temperature grade -
max:95C critical:90C passive:85C
[    4.414659] ubi0: default fastmap pool size: 70
[    4.419399] ubi0: default fastmap WL pool size: 35
[    4.424414] ubi0: attaching mtd5
[    5.741419] ubi0: scanning is finished
[    5.765232] ubi0: attached mtd5 (name "ubi", size 184 MiB)
[    5.770786] ubi0: PEB size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB), LEB size: 126976 bytes
[    5.777904] ubi0: min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048/2048, sub-page size 2048
[    5.784831] ubi0: VID header offset: 2048 (aligned 2048), data offset: 4096
[    5.791912] ubi0: good PEBs: 1468, bad PEBs: 4, corrupted PEBs: 0
[    5.798050] ubi0: user volume: 1, internal volumes: 1, max. volumes
count: 128
[    5.805390] ubi0: max/mean erase counter: 18/6, WL threshold: 4096,
image sequence number: 1971059169
[    5.814721] ubi0: available PEBs: 104, total reserved PEBs: 1364,
PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 36
[    5.825275] ubi0: background thread "ubi_bgt0d" started, PID 109
[    5.833109] snvs_rtc 20cc000.snvs:snvs-rtc-lp: setting system clock
to 1970-01-01T00:00:01 UTC (1)
[    5.842699] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for
regulatory database
[    5.858035] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[    5.867119] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for
regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    5.876069] platform regulatory.0: Falling back to syfs fallback
for: regulatory.db
[    5.884070] ALSA device list:
[    5.887081]   No soundcards found.
[    5.898591] UBIFS (ubi0:0): Mounting in unauthenticated mode
[    5.906283] UBIFS (ubi0:0): background thread "ubifs_bgt0_0" started, PID 115
[    5.933292] random: crng init done
[    6.021577] UBIFS (ubi0:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 0,
name "rootfs_data"
[    6.029462] UBIFS (ubi0:0): LEB size: 126976 bytes (124 KiB),
min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048 bytes/2048 bytes
[    6.039536] UBIFS (ubi0:0): FS size: 166338560 bytes (158 MiB, 1310
LEBs), journal size 8380416 bytes (7 MiB, 66 LEBs)
[    6.050394] UBIFS (ubi0:0): reserved for root: 4952683 bytes (4836 KiB)
[    6.057136] UBIFS (ubi0:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w5/r0),
UUID E9F1667C-8AC1-4030-BB1A-9C5341482A61, small LPT model
[    6.074491] VFS: Mounted root (ubifs filesystem) on device 0:13.
[    6.085038] devtmpfs: mounted
[    6.090385] Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024K
[    6.096157] Run /init as init process
[    6.622933] systemd[1]: System time before build time, advancing clock.
[    6.773833] systemd[1]: systemd 239 running in system mode. (-PAM
-AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP
-GCRYPT -GNUTLS +AC)
[    6.799488] systemd[1]: Detected architecture arm.

Welcome to OpenEmbedded nodistro.0!

[    6.880787] systemd[1]: Set hostname to <solar>.
[    7.619506] systemd[1]: File
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:36 configures an IP
firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not .
[    7.638096] systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in effect!
(This warning is only shown for the first loaded unit using IP
firewalling.)
[    8.206122] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found ordering cycle on
multi-user.target/start
[    8.214677] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found dependency on
sacronjob.service/start
[    8.222958] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found dependency on
sasolar.service/stop
[    8.230508] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Job
sacronjob.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with
sasolar.service/stop
[ SKIP ] Ordering cycle found, skipping SA third run cron job
[    8.318161] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.
[  OK  ] Reached target Swap.
[  OK  ] Started Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
[  OK  ] Listening on udev Kernel Socket.
[  OK  ] Created slice system-serial\x2dgetty.slice.
[  OK  ] Reached target Remote File Systems.
[  OK  ] Listening on Journal Socket.
         Mounting Kernel Debug File System...
         Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
         Mounting FUSE Control File System...
[    8.732692] systemd[126]: sys-kernel-debug.mount: Failed to execute
command: No such file or directory
[    8.742715] systemd[128]: sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount: Failed to
execute command: No such file or directory
         Mounting Temporary Directory (/tmp)...
[    8.760386] systemd[129]: tmp.mount: Failed to execute command: No
such file or directory
[  OK  ] Listening on udev Control Socket.
         Starting udev Coldplug all Devices...
[    8.830664] systemd[130]: systemd-udev-trigger.service: Failed to
execute command: No such file or directory
[  OK  ] Reached target Host and Network Name Lookups.
         Starting Remount Root and Kernel File Systems...
[  OK  ] Started Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
[  OK  ] Reached target Paths.
[  OK  ] Created slice User and Session Slice.
[  OK  ] Created slice system-getty.slice.
[  OK  ] Listening on Network Service Netlink Socket.
[  OK  ] Listening on Journal Socket (/dev/log).
         Starting Journal Service...
[  OK  ] Reached target Slices.
[  OK  ] Listening on initctl Compatibility Named Pipe.
[FAILED] Failed to mount Kernel Debug File System.
See 'systemctl status sys-kernel-debug.mount' for details.
[  OK  ] Started Apply Kernel Variables.
[FAILED] Failed to mount FUSE Control File System.
See 'systemctl status sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to mount Temporary Directory (/tmp).
See 'systemctl status tmp.mount' for details.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Network Service.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Network Time Synchronization.
[  OK  ] Started Journal Service.
[FAILED] Failed to start udev Coldplug all Devices.
See 'systemctl status systemd-udev-trigger.service' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
See 'systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service' for details.
         Starting Create Static Device Nodes in /dev...
         Starting Flush Journal to Persistent Storage...
[  OK  ] Reached target System Time Synchronized.
[FAILED] Failed to start Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
See 'systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start Flush Journal to Persistent Storage.
See 'systemctl status systemd-journal-flush.service' for details.
[  OK  ] Reached target Local File Systems (Pre).
         Mounting /var/volatile...
[  OK  ] Reached target Containers.
         Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...
[FAILED] Failed to mount /var/volatile.
See 'systemctl status var-volatile.mount' for details.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Bind mount volatile /srv.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Bind mount volatile /var/cache.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Bind mount volatile /var/spool.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Bind mount volatile /var/lib.
[  OK  ] Reached target Timers.
[  OK  ] Reached target Login Prompts.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network.
[  OK  ] Reached target Sockets.
         Starting Create Volatile Files and Directories...
[  OK  ] Started Emergency Shell.
         Starting Load/Save Random Seed...
[  OK  ] Reached target Emergency Mode.
[  OK  ] Started udev Kernel Device Manager.
[FAILED] Failed to start Create Volatile Files and Directories.
See 'systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service' for details.
[  OK  ] Started Load/Save Random Seed.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown...
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):
sulogin: failed to execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
sulogin: failed to execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
cannot execute su shell

Reloading system manager configuration
Starting default target
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):
Reloading system manager configuration
Starting default target
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue): [   64.582711] imx-sdma
20ec000.sdma: external firmware not found, using ROM firmware
[   69.691943] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

sulogin: failed to execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
sulogin: failed to execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
cannot execute su shell

Reloading system manager configuration
Starting default target
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):
Reloading system manager configuration
Starting default target
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance

So I was not able to enter the file system.

Thank you very much Steve.

- jh

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-05  8:38             ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2019-10-05  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Steve deRosier, linux-mtd

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:36 AM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> [    5.884070] ALSA device list:
> [    5.887081]   No soundcards found.
> [    5.898591] UBIFS (ubi0:0): Mounting in unauthenticated mode
> [    5.906283] UBIFS (ubi0:0): background thread "ubifs_bgt0_0" started, PID 115
> [    5.933292] random: crng init done
> [    6.021577] UBIFS (ubi0:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 0,
> name "rootfs_data"
> [    6.029462] UBIFS (ubi0:0): LEB size: 126976 bytes (124 KiB),
> min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048 bytes/2048 bytes
> [    6.039536] UBIFS (ubi0:0): FS size: 166338560 bytes (158 MiB, 1310
> LEBs), journal size 8380416 bytes (7 MiB, 66 LEBs)
> [    6.050394] UBIFS (ubi0:0): reserved for root: 4952683 bytes (4836 KiB)
> [    6.057136] UBIFS (ubi0:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w5/r0),
> UUID E9F1667C-8AC1-4030-BB1A-9C5341482A61, small LPT model
> [    6.074491] VFS: Mounted root (ubifs filesystem) on device 0:13.

So, UBIFS is happy and mounts cleanly.

> [    6.085038] devtmpfs: mounted
> [    6.090385] Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024K
> [    6.096157] Run /init as init process
> [    6.622933] systemd[1]: System time before build time, advancing clock.
> [    6.773833] systemd[1]: systemd 239 running in system mode. (-PAM
> -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP
> -GCRYPT -GNUTLS +AC)
> [    6.799488] systemd[1]: Detected architecture arm.
>
> Welcome to OpenEmbedded nodistro.0!
>
> [    6.880787] systemd[1]: Set hostname to <solar>.
> [    7.619506] systemd[1]: File
> /lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:36 configures an IP
> firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not .
> [    7.638096] systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in effect!
> (This warning is only shown for the first loaded unit using IP
> firewalling.)
> [    8.206122] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found ordering cycle on
> multi-user.target/start
> [    8.214677] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found dependency on
> sacronjob.service/start
> [    8.222958] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Found dependency on
> sasolar.service/stop
> [    8.230508] systemd[1]: sasolar.service: Job
> sacronjob.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with
> sasolar.service/stop
> [ SKIP ] Ordering cycle found, skipping SA third run cron job
> [    8.318161] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.
> [  OK  ] Reached target Swap.
> [  OK  ] Started Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
> [  OK  ] Listening on udev Kernel Socket.
> [  OK  ] Created slice system-serial\x2dgetty.slice.
> [  OK  ] Reached target Remote File Systems.
> [  OK  ] Listening on Journal Socket.
>          Mounting Kernel Debug File System...
>          Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
>          Mounting FUSE Control File System...
> [    8.732692] systemd[126]: sys-kernel-debug.mount: Failed to execute
> command: No such file or directory
> [    8.742715] systemd[128]: sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount: Failed to
> execute command: No such file or directory

Some files are missing but it does not look like a UBIFS corruption.
In case of corruption (such as dead directory entry) UBIFS would cry out loud.

I don't see a problem which points to the storage stack.

* Re: How the bad blocks occured in despite MTD manages the bad blocks
@ 2019-10-05 21:56               ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-10-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: Steve deRosier, linux-mtd

On 10/5/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [    6.057136] UBIFS (ubi0:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w5/r0),
>> UUID E9F1667C-8AC1-4030-BB1A-9C5341482A61, small LPT model
>> [    6.074491] VFS: Mounted root (ubifs filesystem) on device 0:13.
>
> So, UBIFS is happy and mounts cleanly.

Oh good, relieved.

>> [    8.732692] systemd[126]: sys-kernel-debug.mount: Failed to execute
>> command: No such file or directory
>> [    8.742715] systemd[128]: sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount: Failed to
>> execute command: No such file or directory
>
> Some files are missing but it does not look like a UBIFS corruption.
> In case of corruption (such as dead directory entry) UBIFS would cry out
> loud.
>
> I don't see a problem which points to the storage stack.

So if the UBIFS was not corrupted, NAND was not damaged, is my
assertion rational that software / kernel was not the cause to break
the system and device down?

Thank you very much Richard.

Kind regards,

- jh