Linux-mtd Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Shibin George <george.shibin1993@gmail.com>
To: linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org
Subject: File-compression on ubifs
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:06:41 +0530

Hi everyone,

Had a query regarding mkfs.ubifs tool. I created an empty ubifs
filesystem using:

mkfs.ubifs -y /dev/ubiX_Y

I was wondering that if I now create a new file on this filesystem
(after mount()), would compression be enabled or disabled for that
file by-default? I am sorry but I could quite grasp this from the
mkfs.ubifs code.

Another query that I have is this:
Would ubifs do a better job at compression if it knows the root-dir
contents ahead of time? In other words, is on-the-fly compression of a
file (i.e. compression at the time of creating/writing to a file)
generally worse than when the same file is known to ubifs at the time
of image creation?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Shibin George