* Tests tree not submitted?
@ 2008-05-19  3:54 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2008-05-19  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli; +Cc: Sam Ravnborg, linux-next

Hi Ananth, Sam,

Is there some reason that the tests tree changes have not bee submitted
to Linus yet?  They have been in linux-next for quite some time now
(since February 24) without any changes.

It currently only gets a conflict with lib/Kconfig.debug but that is easy
to fix up and I had to add a "depends on BLOCK" to the entry for "config
LKDTM" in the new tests/Kconfig file.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

* Re: Tests tree not submitted?
@ 2008-05-19  4:38 ` Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli
From: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli @ 2008-05-19  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Andrew Morton; +Cc: Sam Ravnborg, linux-next

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:54:36PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Ananth, Sam,

Hi Stephen,

> Is there some reason that the tests tree changes have not bee submitted
> to Linus yet?  They have been in linux-next for quite some time now
> (since February 24) without any changes.

When this was submitted last, the opinion was that since it was post
2.6.25-rc2 and since it had Kconfig changes, this should be deferred to
the next release. However I got busy during the merge time and couldn't
resumbit this.

I believe this being a code movement, its mostly benign. But if it needs
to wait for 2.6.27, thats fine too; also given that the -mm is now based
on -next, it'll get a lot more tested.

Andrew,

What is the best way forward here? Given the code has been in -next for
a few months, and given -mm is now based on -next, will you be pushing
these changes to Linus during the next merge window? Or, do you want me
to resubmit the patchset again later in the 2.6.26-rc cycle?

Ananth

* Re: Tests tree not submitted?
@ 2008-05-19  5:00   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-05-19  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ananth; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Sam Ravnborg, linux-next

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:08:22 +0530 Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli <ananth@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:54:36PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Ananth, Sam,
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> > Is there some reason that the tests tree changes have not bee submitted
> > to Linus yet?  They have been in linux-next for quite some time now
> > (since February 24) without any changes.
>
> When this was submitted last, the opinion was that since it was post
> 2.6.25-rc2 and since it had Kconfig changes, this should be deferred to
> the next release. However I got busy during the merge time and couldn't
> resumbit this.
>
> I believe this being a code movement, its mostly benign. But if it needs
> to wait for 2.6.27, thats fine too; also given that the -mm is now based
> on -next, it'll get a lot more tested.
>
> Andrew,
>
> What is the best way forward here? Given the code has been in -next for
> a few months, and given -mm is now based on -next, will you be pushing
> these changes to Linus during the next merge window? Or, do you want me
> to resubmit the patchset again later in the 2.6.26-rc cycle?

<brief panic>

I don't even know what the "tests" tree _is_.

Searching the past seven weeks lmkl archives for From:.*ananth.* turns
up zero hits.

So whatever this thing is, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low-profile.

Did you even send Linus a pull request?  I have no record of one.

Secret tree :(

* Re: Tests tree not submitted?
@ 2008-05-19  5:37     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2008-05-19  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: ananth, Sam Ravnborg, linux-next

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 18 May 2008 22:00:03 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> <brief panic>
>
> I don't even know what the "tests" tree _is_.
>
> Searching the past seven weeks lmkl archives for From:.*ananth.* turns
> up zero hits.
>
> So whatever this thing is, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low-profile.
>
> Did you even send Linus a pull request?  I have no record of one.
>
> Secret tree :(

I don;t have the original pull request in my archive, but I do have an email from Sam Ravnborg dated Feb 19 saying (in part):

"Hi Anath.

Linus did not pull this in the -rc1 to -rc2 timeframe
so please resubmit the patch serie one week into the
next merge window (when most of the trees has hit linus' tree
and Andrew has made his first merge).

IF you need an extra eye balling then you can submit
a few weeks before the merge window opens.
Thats typical after an -rc with only a few patches."

After which Ananth asked me to add it to linux-next and I did on Feb 24.

So, not a complete secret :-) and a pull request was sent on Feb 12
(actually by Sam who put this stuff into a git tree for Ananth).  This
tree (patch set) has not changed since Feb 24 and only has the one simple
conflict I noted.
--

@ 2008-05-19  5:49     ` Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli
From: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli @ 2008-05-19  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Sam Ravnborg, linux-next

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:00:03PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:08:22 +0530 Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli <ananth@in.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:54:36PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi Ananth, Sam,
> >
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > > Is there some reason that the tests tree changes have not bee submitted
> > > to Linus yet?  They have been in linux-next for quite some time now
> > > (since February 24) without any changes.
> >
> > When this was submitted last, the opinion was that since it was post
> > 2.6.25-rc2 and since it had Kconfig changes, this should be deferred to
> > the next release. However I got busy during the merge time and couldn't
> > resumbit this.
> >
> > I believe this being a code movement, its mostly benign. But if it needs
> > to wait for 2.6.27, thats fine too; also given that the -mm is now based
> > on -next, it'll get a lot more tested.
> >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > What is the best way forward here? Given the code has been in -next for
> > a few months, and given -mm is now based on -next, will you be pushing
> > these changes to Linus during the next merge window? Or, do you want me
> > to resubmit the patchset again later in the 2.6.26-rc cycle?
>
> <brief panic>

Oops! Sorry Andrew :-)

> I don't even know what the "tests" tree _is_.
>
> Searching the past seven weeks lmkl archives for From:.*ananth.* turns
> up zero hits.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120285599718700&w=2 is Sam's mail to
lkml about it.

> So whatever this thing is, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low-profile.

Yes, its nothing earth shattering :-) Just code consolidation.

> Did you even send Linus a pull request?  I have no record of one.

Sam did http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120285599718700&w=2 again.

Ananth

* Re: Tests tree not submitted?
@ 2008-05-19  6:30       ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2008-05-19  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Andrew Morton, ananth, linux-next

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:37:04PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Sun, 18 May 2008 22:00:03 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > <brief panic>
> >
> > I don't even know what the "tests" tree _is_.
> >
> > Searching the past seven weeks lmkl archives for From:.*ananth.* turns
> > up zero hits.
> >
> > So whatever this thing is, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low-profile.
> >
> > Did you even send Linus a pull request?  I have no record of one.
> >
> > Secret tree :(
>
> I don;t have the original pull request in my archive, but I do have an email from Sam Ravnborg dated Feb 19 saying (in part):
>
> "Hi Anath.
>
> Linus did not pull this in the -rc1 to -rc2 timeframe
> so please resubmit the patch serie one week into the
> next merge window (when most of the trees has hit linus' tree
> and Andrew has made his first merge).
>
> IF you need an extra eye balling then you can submit
> a few weeks before the merge window opens.
> Thats typical after an -rc with only a few patches."
>
> After which Ananth asked me to add it to linux-next and I did on Feb 24.
>
> So, not a complete secret :-) and a pull request was sent on Feb 12
> (actually by Sam who put this stuff into a git tree for Ananth).  This
> tree (patch set) has not changed since Feb 24 and only has the one simple
> conflict I noted.

Andrew mumbled about taking these patches via kbuild.it and in order to
avoid that I created a new test.git tree that I then have not given any care since.

Anath - I can update test.git if you send me a new patch-set but otherwise
I cannot do much work on it.
Too busy with other stuff.

	Sam

* Re: Tests tree not submitted?