* Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
       [not found]   ` <20080601005338.3affe880.akpm@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2008-06-01 13:26     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2008-06-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:53:38 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> I do not know how to work out how this patch got into linux-next.

I have been wondering for a while what I can do to make figuring this out
(in general) easier.  Would adding the SHA1 of the head of each tree to
the Trees file help?  I could publish all the branches in my linux-next
repo - but they change daily.  I guess only the git users benefit from
those suggestions.

gitk can tell you pretty easily (just find the offending commit and work
your way upward until you find a merge by me).

Other suggestions?
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-01 21:04       ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-06-01 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:26:38 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:53:38 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I do not know how to work out how this patch got into linux-next.
>
> I have been wondering for a while what I can do to make figuring this out
> (in general) easier.  Would adding the SHA1 of the head of each tree to
> the Trees file help?  I could publish all the branches in my linux-next
> repo - but they change daily.  I guess only the git users benefit from
> those suggestions.
>
> gitk can tell you pretty easily (just find the offending commit and work
> your way upward until you find a merge by me).

hm, I just found the `committer' line in gitk.  Coulda sworn that
wasn't there yesterday.

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  0:39         ` Paul Mackerras
From: Paul Mackerras @ 2008-06-02  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

Andrew Morton writes:

> hm, I just found the `committer' line in gitk.  Coulda sworn that
> wasn't there yesterday.

It was, actually. :)

Seriously, if you have any suggestions about things that would make
gitk more useful for you, let me know.

Paul.

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  1:06           ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-06-02  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mackerras; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:39:17 +1000 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:

> Andrew Morton writes:
>
> > hm, I just found the `committer' line in gitk.  Coulda sworn that
> > wasn't there yesterday.
>
> It was, actually. :)
>
> Seriously, if you have any suggestions about things that would make
> gitk more useful for you, let me know.

tkdiff-style diff viewer!

I mentioned that to you a year or two back, and you've probabably
already done it but nobody told me about it :)

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  2:12             ` Paul Mackerras
From: Paul Mackerras @ 2008-06-02  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

Andrew Morton writes:

> tkdiff-style diff viewer!
>
> I mentioned that to you a year or two back, and you've probabably
> already done it but nobody told me about it :)

There's now a facility for viewing diffs in an external viewer.  If
you do Edit->Preferences and set the "External diff tool" thing to
tkdiff, then you can right-click on a file name in the file list
(bottom right-hand pane) and select "External diff" and it will launch
tkdiff to show you the diffs for that file.

What is it you like about tkdiff?  Is it the side-by-side display, or
the highlighting of differences within a line, or the merge facility?

Paul.

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  5:37               ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-06-02  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mackerras; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:12:29 +1000 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:

> Andrew Morton writes:
>
> > tkdiff-style diff viewer!
> >
> > I mentioned that to you a year or two back, and you've probabably
> > already done it but nobody told me about it :)
>
> There's now a facility for viewing diffs in an external viewer.  If
> you do Edit->Preferences and set the "External diff tool" thing to
> tkdiff, then you can right-click on a file name in the file list
> (bottom right-hand pane) and select "External diff" and it will launch
> tkdiff to show you the diffs for that file.

<upgrades>

OK, that works, thanks.  Right-clicking on each file is the sole way to
bring it up?

> What is it you like about tkdiff?  Is it the side-by-side display, or
> the highlighting of differences within a line, or the merge facility?

I like the side-by-side display.  I hardly look at the left (previous) side
at all - it's a good way of seeing the change in a larger context.

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  5:49                 ` Paul Mackerras
From: Paul Mackerras @ 2008-06-02  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

Andrew Morton writes:

> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:12:29 +1000 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:
> > There's now a facility for viewing diffs in an external viewer.  If
> > you do Edit->Preferences and set the "External diff tool" thing to
> > tkdiff, then you can right-click on a file name in the file list
> > (bottom right-hand pane) and select "External diff" and it will launch
> > tkdiff to show you the diffs for that file.
>
> <upgrades>
>
> OK, that works, thanks.  Right-clicking on each file is the sole way to
> bring it up?

At the moment, yes.  Do you want something different?

> > What is it you like about tkdiff?  Is it the side-by-side display, or
> > the highlighting of differences within a line, or the merge facility?
>
> I like the side-by-side display.  I hardly look at the left (previous) side
> at all - it's a good way of seeing the change in a larger context.

I see.  There are a couple of features in gitk you might find useful,
then: you can get the gitk diff window to display just the new
version (or just the old version) using the radio buttons just above
the diff pane.  You can also get it to show more context with the
spinbox to the right of the radio buttons.

Something that dirdiff can do is to let you pick up the separator line
and drag it upwards or downwards to see more context.  Maybe I should
add that to gitk too.

Paul.

* Re: Diagnosing linux-next (Was: Re: m68k libc5 regression)
@ 2008-06-02  6:22                   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-06-02  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mackerras; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Development, linux-next

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:49:59 +1000 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:

> Andrew Morton writes:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:12:29 +1000 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:
> > > There's now a facility for viewing diffs in an external viewer.  If
> > > you do Edit->Preferences and set the "External diff tool" thing to
> > > tkdiff, then you can right-click on a file name in the file list
> > > (bottom right-hand pane) and select "External diff" and it will launch
> > > tkdiff to show you the diffs for that file.
> >
> > <upgrades>
> >
> > OK, that works, thanks.  Right-clicking on each file is the sole way to
> > bring it up?
>
> At the moment, yes.  Do you want something different?

No, that's OK.

> > > What is it you like about tkdiff?  Is it the side-by-side display, or
> > > the highlighting of differences within a line, or the merge facility?
> >
> > I like the side-by-side display.  I hardly look at the left (previous) side
> > at all - it's a good way of seeing the change in a larger context.
>
> I see.  There are a couple of features in gitk you might find useful,
> then: you can get the gitk diff window to display just the new
> version (or just the old version) using the radio buttons just above
> the diff pane.  You can also get it to show more context with the
> spinbox to the right of the radio buttons.
>
> Something that dirdiff can do is to let you pick up the separator line
> and drag it upwards or downwards to see more context.  Maybe I should
> add that to gitk too.

I like to see the new code with lines-which-changed highlighted (the
tkdiff RHS).  But the LHS is useful sometimes too.

tkdiff works fine for me - I guess it's what you're used to.

eg: when I apply a patch with -F1 and it fails, then I apply it without
-F1 and it applies, I have to go in and check that the hunks which
didn't apply with -F1 actually landed in the right place.  So to find
hunk 14 of 24 I click tkdiff's 'Next' button 13 times.