From: Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>
To: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>
Cc: Andy Gross <agross@kernel.org>,
	kernel-build-reports@lists.linaro.org,
	linux-next@vger.kernel.org, linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org,
	Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com>,
	Will Deacon <will@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: next/master boot: 257 boots: 8 failed, 237 passed with 8 offline, 2 untried/unknown, 2 conflicts (next-20191028)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:02:19 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon 28 Oct 12:11 PDT 2019, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 11:40:19AM -0700, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> > On Mon 28 Oct 10:48 PDT 2019, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 08:03:08AM -0700, kernelci.org bot wrote:
>
> > > Today's -next (anf Friday's) fails to boot on db820c:

> > > It looks like it deadlocks somewhere, the last things in the log are a
> > > failure to start ufshcd-qcom and then an RCU stall some time later:
>
> > db820c has been failing intermittently for a while now, it seems that
> > booting with kpti enabled causes something to go wrong. There are
> > nothing strange in the kernel logs and ftrace seems to indicate that all
> > the CPUs are idling nicely.
>
> Oh dear.  Adding Catalin and Will.  Is it definitely KPTI that's
> triggering stuff?  It did turn up some bugs on other systems, though
> it's a bit strange it's only manifesting in KernelCI...

I did a test recently where I booted my db820c 100 times with kpti=yes
and 100 times with kpti=no on the kernel command line, and the result
was 90% failure to reach console vs 0%. Going back and looking at the
logs for the 10% indicated that the boot CPU was fine, but I had stalls
reported on other CPUs.

In an effort to rule out driver bugs I reduced the DT to CPUs, the core
clocks, gic, timers and serial driver, and I still saw the problem.

I have not looked at this with jtag and hence do not know what secure
world is doing.

Regards,
Bjorn