Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
@ 2019-11-06 15:56 Naresh Kamboju
  2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
  2019-11-06 17:19 ` Russell King - ARM Linux admin
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Naresh Kamboju @ 2019-11-06 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux, catalin.marinas, will, linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Linux-Next Mailing List, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann,
	open list, Mark Brown, John Stultz, lkft-triage

arm64 devices Juno-r2, hikey (Hi6220) and dragonboard (APQ 8016 SBC)
boot failed while running linux next 20191106 kernel. But qemu_arm64
boot pass.

Crash log from dragonboard,

[   10.656527] Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
address ffff800011b3ef68
[   10.656580] Mem abort info:
[   10.656587]   ESR = 0x96000007
[   10.656594]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
[   10.656600]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
[   10.656605]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
[   10.656610] Data abort info:
[   10.656616]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000007
[   10.656621]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
[   10.656629] swapper pgtable: 4k pages, 48-bit VAs, pgdp=0000000081980000
[   10.656635] [ffff800011b3ef68] pgd=00000000bfeff003,
pud=00000000bfefe003, pmd=00000000bfefa003, pte=0000000000000000
[   10.656887] Internal error: Oops: 96000007 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
[   10.656894] Modules linked in: adv7511(+) cec msm(+) mdt_loader
drm_kms_helper qcom_rng drm socinfo rmtfs_mem qrtr fuse
[   10.656928] CPU: 0 PID: 230 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted
5.4.0-rc6-next-20191106 #1
[   10.656933] Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. APQ 8016 SBC (DT)
[   10.656939] pstate: a0000085 (NzCv daIf -PAN -UAO)
[   10.656953] pc : __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
[   10.656960] lr : of_match_node+0x40/0x70
[   10.656964] sp : ffff8000132534d0
[   10.656968] x29: ffff8000132534d0 x28: ffff8000101d6260
[   10.656977] x27: ffff80001241a7a0 x26: ffff80001241a7a0
[   10.656985] x25: ffff80001241a860 x24: ffff80001241a6e8
[   10.656993] x23: 0000000000000000 x22: ffff00003fd08010
[   10.657001] x21: 0000000000000000 x20: 0000000000000000
[   10.657008] x19: ffff800011b3ef68 x18: ffffffffffffffff
[   10.657016] x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000000000000000
[   10.657024] x15: ffff8000121ffa48 x14: 4e3a666f3d534149
[   10.657032] x13: 0000000000000040 x12: 0000000000000028
[   10.657039] x11: 0000000000000001 x10: 0101010101010101
[   10.657047] x9 : ffff800012532c50 x8 : 0000000000000050
[   10.657055] x7 : ffff800010df1164 x6 : 0000000000000000
[   10.657063] x5 : 00000000a4fd7f12 x4 : ffff00003bd7cd18
[   10.657070] x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 0000000000000001
[   10.657078] x1 : ffff00003fd08010 x0 : ffff800010df1178
[   10.657086] Call trace:
[   10.657094]  __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
[   10.657099]  of_match_node+0x40/0x70
[   10.657106]  of_match_device+0x30/0x50
[   10.657115]  platform_match+0x4c/0xe8
[   10.657122]  __device_attach_driver+0x3c/0x120
[   10.657128]  bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xd8
[   10.657135]  __device_attach+0xe8/0x170
[   10.657141]  device_initial_probe+0x24/0x30
[   10.657148]  bus_probe_device+0xa0/0xa8
[   10.657154]  device_add+0x4fc/0x7a8
[   10.657160]  of_device_add+0x50/0x68
[   10.657167]  of_platform_device_create_pdata+0xf0/0x170
[   10.657173]  of_platform_bus_create+0x174/0x550
[   10.657180]  of_platform_populate+0x94/0x158
[   10.657358]  msm_pdev_probe+0x74/0x358 [msm]
[   10.657369]  platform_drv_probe+0x58/0xa8
[   10.657377]  really_probe+0x290/0x488
[   10.657384]  driver_probe_device+0x12c/0x148
[   10.657391]  device_driver_attach+0x74/0x98
[   10.657397]  __driver_attach+0xc4/0x178
[   10.657403]  bus_for_each_dev+0x84/0xd8
[   10.657409]  driver_attach+0x30/0x40
[   10.657416]  bus_add_driver+0x170/0x258
[   10.657423]  driver_register+0x64/0x118
[   10.657430]  __platform_driver_register+0x54/0x60
[   10.657582]  msm_drm_register+0x60/0x6c [msm]
[   10.657592]  do_one_initcall+0x94/0x460
[   10.657600]  do_init_module+0x60/0x204
[   10.657606]  load_module+0x2078/0x2720
[   10.657613]  __do_sys_finit_module+0x100/0x120
[   10.657619]  __arm64_sys_finit_module+0x28/0x38
[   10.657628]  el0_svc_common.constprop.2+0x7c/0x180
[   10.657635]  el0_svc_handler+0x34/0xa0
[   10.657643]  el0_sync_handler+0x124/0x1f8
[   10.657649]  el0_sync+0x140/0x180
[   10.657659] Code: 1a80d281 9a93d2b5 2a0103f4 91032273 (39400264)
[   10.657667] ---[ end trace 8b4c2740f71524d1 ]---

Full test log,
https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/994051#L1396

metadata:
  git branch: master
  git repo: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
  git commit: dcd34bd234181ec74f081c7d0025204afe6b213e
  git describe: next-20191106
  make_kernelversion: 5.4.0-rc6
  kernel-config:
http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640/config
  build-location:
http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640


Best regards
Naresh Kamoju

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-06 15:56 Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007 Naresh Kamboju
@ 2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
  2019-11-06 16:16   ` Mark Rutland
  2019-11-06 16:17   ` Mark Brown
  2019-11-06 17:19 ` Russell King - ARM Linux admin
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Robin Murphy @ 2019-11-06 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Kamboju, Russell King - ARM Linux, catalin.marinas, will,
	linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, open list, lkft-triage,
	Mark Brown, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List

On 06/11/2019 15:56, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> arm64 devices Juno-r2, hikey (Hi6220) and dragonboard (APQ 8016 SBC)
> boot failed while running linux next 20191106 kernel. But qemu_arm64
> boot pass.
> 
> Crash log from dragonboard,
> 
> [   10.656527] Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
> address ffff800011b3ef68
> [   10.656580] Mem abort info:
> [   10.656587]   ESR = 0x96000007
> [   10.656594]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
> [   10.656600]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
> [   10.656605]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
> [   10.656610] Data abort info:
> [   10.656616]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000007
> [   10.656621]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
> [   10.656629] swapper pgtable: 4k pages, 48-bit VAs, pgdp=0000000081980000
> [   10.656635] [ffff800011b3ef68] pgd=00000000bfeff003,
> pud=00000000bfefe003, pmd=00000000bfefa003, pte=0000000000000000
> [   10.656887] Internal error: Oops: 96000007 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> [   10.656894] Modules linked in: adv7511(+) cec msm(+) mdt_loader
> drm_kms_helper qcom_rng drm socinfo rmtfs_mem qrtr fuse
> [   10.656928] CPU: 0 PID: 230 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted
> 5.4.0-rc6-next-20191106 #1
> [   10.656933] Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. APQ 8016 SBC (DT)
> [   10.656939] pstate: a0000085 (NzCv daIf -PAN -UAO)
> [   10.656953] pc : __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
> [   10.656960] lr : of_match_node+0x40/0x70
> [   10.656964] sp : ffff8000132534d0
> [   10.656968] x29: ffff8000132534d0 x28: ffff8000101d6260
> [   10.656977] x27: ffff80001241a7a0 x26: ffff80001241a7a0
> [   10.656985] x25: ffff80001241a860 x24: ffff80001241a6e8
> [   10.656993] x23: 0000000000000000 x22: ffff00003fd08010
> [   10.657001] x21: 0000000000000000 x20: 0000000000000000
> [   10.657008] x19: ffff800011b3ef68 x18: ffffffffffffffff
> [   10.657016] x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000000000000000
> [   10.657024] x15: ffff8000121ffa48 x14: 4e3a666f3d534149
> [   10.657032] x13: 0000000000000040 x12: 0000000000000028
> [   10.657039] x11: 0000000000000001 x10: 0101010101010101
> [   10.657047] x9 : ffff800012532c50 x8 : 0000000000000050
> [   10.657055] x7 : ffff800010df1164 x6 : 0000000000000000
> [   10.657063] x5 : 00000000a4fd7f12 x4 : ffff00003bd7cd18
> [   10.657070] x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 0000000000000001
> [   10.657078] x1 : ffff00003fd08010 x0 : ffff800010df1178
> [   10.657086] Call trace:
> [   10.657094]  __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88

FWIW this smells like a builtin driver had its of_device_id table marked 
__init, leaving drv->of_match_table as a dangling pointer to freed 
memory by this point.

Robin.

> [   10.657099]  of_match_node+0x40/0x70
> [   10.657106]  of_match_device+0x30/0x50
> [   10.657115]  platform_match+0x4c/0xe8
> [   10.657122]  __device_attach_driver+0x3c/0x120
> [   10.657128]  bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xd8
> [   10.657135]  __device_attach+0xe8/0x170
> [   10.657141]  device_initial_probe+0x24/0x30
> [   10.657148]  bus_probe_device+0xa0/0xa8
> [   10.657154]  device_add+0x4fc/0x7a8
> [   10.657160]  of_device_add+0x50/0x68
> [   10.657167]  of_platform_device_create_pdata+0xf0/0x170
> [   10.657173]  of_platform_bus_create+0x174/0x550
> [   10.657180]  of_platform_populate+0x94/0x158
> [   10.657358]  msm_pdev_probe+0x74/0x358 [msm]
> [   10.657369]  platform_drv_probe+0x58/0xa8
> [   10.657377]  really_probe+0x290/0x488
> [   10.657384]  driver_probe_device+0x12c/0x148
> [   10.657391]  device_driver_attach+0x74/0x98
> [   10.657397]  __driver_attach+0xc4/0x178
> [   10.657403]  bus_for_each_dev+0x84/0xd8
> [   10.657409]  driver_attach+0x30/0x40
> [   10.657416]  bus_add_driver+0x170/0x258
> [   10.657423]  driver_register+0x64/0x118
> [   10.657430]  __platform_driver_register+0x54/0x60
> [   10.657582]  msm_drm_register+0x60/0x6c [msm]
> [   10.657592]  do_one_initcall+0x94/0x460
> [   10.657600]  do_init_module+0x60/0x204
> [   10.657606]  load_module+0x2078/0x2720
> [   10.657613]  __do_sys_finit_module+0x100/0x120
> [   10.657619]  __arm64_sys_finit_module+0x28/0x38
> [   10.657628]  el0_svc_common.constprop.2+0x7c/0x180
> [   10.657635]  el0_svc_handler+0x34/0xa0
> [   10.657643]  el0_sync_handler+0x124/0x1f8
> [   10.657649]  el0_sync+0x140/0x180
> [   10.657659] Code: 1a80d281 9a93d2b5 2a0103f4 91032273 (39400264)
> [   10.657667] ---[ end trace 8b4c2740f71524d1 ]---
> 
> Full test log,
> https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/994051#L1396
> 
> metadata:
>    git branch: master
>    git repo: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>    git commit: dcd34bd234181ec74f081c7d0025204afe6b213e
>    git describe: next-20191106
>    make_kernelversion: 5.4.0-rc6
>    kernel-config:
> http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640/config
>    build-location:
> http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640
> 
> 
> Best regards
> Naresh Kamoju
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-arm-kernel mailing list
> linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
@ 2019-11-06 16:16   ` Mark Rutland
  2019-11-06 16:17   ` Mark Brown
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mark Rutland @ 2019-11-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Murphy
  Cc: Naresh Kamboju, Russell King - ARM Linux, catalin.marinas, will,
	linux-arm-kernel, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, open list,
	lkft-triage, Mark Brown, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 04:07:52PM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:
> On 06/11/2019 15:56, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> > arm64 devices Juno-r2, hikey (Hi6220) and dragonboard (APQ 8016 SBC)
> > boot failed while running linux next 20191106 kernel. But qemu_arm64
> > boot pass.
> > 
> > Crash log from dragonboard,
> > 
> > [   10.656527] Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
> > address ffff800011b3ef68
> > [   10.656580] Mem abort info:
> > [   10.656587]   ESR = 0x96000007
> > [   10.656594]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
> > [   10.656600]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
> > [   10.656605]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
> > [   10.656610] Data abort info:
> > [   10.656616]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000007
> > [   10.656621]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
> > [   10.656629] swapper pgtable: 4k pages, 48-bit VAs, pgdp=0000000081980000
> > [   10.656635] [ffff800011b3ef68] pgd=00000000bfeff003,
> > pud=00000000bfefe003, pmd=00000000bfefa003, pte=0000000000000000
> > [   10.656887] Internal error: Oops: 96000007 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> > [   10.656894] Modules linked in: adv7511(+) cec msm(+) mdt_loader
> > drm_kms_helper qcom_rng drm socinfo rmtfs_mem qrtr fuse
> > [   10.656928] CPU: 0 PID: 230 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted
> > 5.4.0-rc6-next-20191106 #1
> > [   10.656933] Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. APQ 8016 SBC (DT)
> > [   10.656939] pstate: a0000085 (NzCv daIf -PAN -UAO)
> > [   10.656953] pc : __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
> > [   10.656960] lr : of_match_node+0x40/0x70
> > [   10.656964] sp : ffff8000132534d0
> > [   10.656968] x29: ffff8000132534d0 x28: ffff8000101d6260
> > [   10.656977] x27: ffff80001241a7a0 x26: ffff80001241a7a0
> > [   10.656985] x25: ffff80001241a860 x24: ffff80001241a6e8
> > [   10.656993] x23: 0000000000000000 x22: ffff00003fd08010
> > [   10.657001] x21: 0000000000000000 x20: 0000000000000000
> > [   10.657008] x19: ffff800011b3ef68 x18: ffffffffffffffff
> > [   10.657016] x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000000000000000
> > [   10.657024] x15: ffff8000121ffa48 x14: 4e3a666f3d534149
> > [   10.657032] x13: 0000000000000040 x12: 0000000000000028
> > [   10.657039] x11: 0000000000000001 x10: 0101010101010101
> > [   10.657047] x9 : ffff800012532c50 x8 : 0000000000000050
> > [   10.657055] x7 : ffff800010df1164 x6 : 0000000000000000
> > [   10.657063] x5 : 00000000a4fd7f12 x4 : ffff00003bd7cd18
> > [   10.657070] x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 0000000000000001
> > [   10.657078] x1 : ffff00003fd08010 x0 : ffff800010df1178
> > [   10.657086] Call trace:
> > [   10.657094]  __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
> 
> FWIW this smells like a builtin driver had its of_device_id table marked
> __init, leaving drv->of_match_table as a dangling pointer to freed memory by
> this point.

Yuck, there are lots of potential instances in mainline:

[mark@lakrids:~/src/linux]% git grep of_device_id | grep __init  | wc -l
141

... so we probably need to clean that up.

Mark.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
  2019-11-06 16:16   ` Mark Rutland
@ 2019-11-06 16:17   ` Mark Brown
  2019-11-07  8:00     ` Linus Walleij
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-11-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Murphy
  Cc: Naresh Kamboju, Russell King - ARM Linux, catalin.marinas, will,
	linux-arm-kernel, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, open list,
	lkft-triage, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List, Linus Walleij

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 454 bytes --]

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 04:07:52PM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:

> FWIW this smells like a builtin driver had its of_device_id table marked
> __init, leaving drv->of_match_table as a dangling pointer to freed memory by
> this point.

Indeed, in fact I sent a fix for this to Linus Walleij yesterday having
seen the relevant build warning when testing -next.  Someone already
reported that it fixed the boot issues.  Hopefully Linus will pick it up
soon :/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 488 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-06 15:56 Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007 Naresh Kamboju
  2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
@ 2019-11-06 17:19 ` Russell King - ARM Linux admin
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin @ 2019-11-06 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: catalin.marinas, will, linux-arm-kernel, Stephen Rothwell,
	Arnd Bergmann, open list, lkft-triage, Mark Brown, John Stultz,
	Linux-Next Mailing List

Hi,

Could you please explain why you've sent this to me?

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 09:26:29PM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> arm64 devices Juno-r2, hikey (Hi6220) and dragonboard (APQ 8016 SBC)
> boot failed while running linux next 20191106 kernel. But qemu_arm64
> boot pass.
> 
> Crash log from dragonboard,
> 
> [   10.656527] Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
> address ffff800011b3ef68
> [   10.656580] Mem abort info:
> [   10.656587]   ESR = 0x96000007
> [   10.656594]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
> [   10.656600]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
> [   10.656605]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
> [   10.656610] Data abort info:
> [   10.656616]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000007
> [   10.656621]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
> [   10.656629] swapper pgtable: 4k pages, 48-bit VAs, pgdp=0000000081980000
> [   10.656635] [ffff800011b3ef68] pgd=00000000bfeff003,
> pud=00000000bfefe003, pmd=00000000bfefa003, pte=0000000000000000
> [   10.656887] Internal error: Oops: 96000007 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> [   10.656894] Modules linked in: adv7511(+) cec msm(+) mdt_loader
> drm_kms_helper qcom_rng drm socinfo rmtfs_mem qrtr fuse
> [   10.656928] CPU: 0 PID: 230 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted
> 5.4.0-rc6-next-20191106 #1
> [   10.656933] Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. APQ 8016 SBC (DT)
> [   10.656939] pstate: a0000085 (NzCv daIf -PAN -UAO)
> [   10.656953] pc : __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
> [   10.656960] lr : of_match_node+0x40/0x70
> [   10.656964] sp : ffff8000132534d0
> [   10.656968] x29: ffff8000132534d0 x28: ffff8000101d6260
> [   10.656977] x27: ffff80001241a7a0 x26: ffff80001241a7a0
> [   10.656985] x25: ffff80001241a860 x24: ffff80001241a6e8
> [   10.656993] x23: 0000000000000000 x22: ffff00003fd08010
> [   10.657001] x21: 0000000000000000 x20: 0000000000000000
> [   10.657008] x19: ffff800011b3ef68 x18: ffffffffffffffff
> [   10.657016] x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000000000000000
> [   10.657024] x15: ffff8000121ffa48 x14: 4e3a666f3d534149
> [   10.657032] x13: 0000000000000040 x12: 0000000000000028
> [   10.657039] x11: 0000000000000001 x10: 0101010101010101
> [   10.657047] x9 : ffff800012532c50 x8 : 0000000000000050
> [   10.657055] x7 : ffff800010df1164 x6 : 0000000000000000
> [   10.657063] x5 : 00000000a4fd7f12 x4 : ffff00003bd7cd18
> [   10.657070] x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 0000000000000001
> [   10.657078] x1 : ffff00003fd08010 x0 : ffff800010df1178
> [   10.657086] Call trace:
> [   10.657094]  __of_match_node.part.5+0x48/0x88
> [   10.657099]  of_match_node+0x40/0x70
> [   10.657106]  of_match_device+0x30/0x50
> [   10.657115]  platform_match+0x4c/0xe8
> [   10.657122]  __device_attach_driver+0x3c/0x120
> [   10.657128]  bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xd8
> [   10.657135]  __device_attach+0xe8/0x170
> [   10.657141]  device_initial_probe+0x24/0x30
> [   10.657148]  bus_probe_device+0xa0/0xa8
> [   10.657154]  device_add+0x4fc/0x7a8
> [   10.657160]  of_device_add+0x50/0x68
> [   10.657167]  of_platform_device_create_pdata+0xf0/0x170
> [   10.657173]  of_platform_bus_create+0x174/0x550
> [   10.657180]  of_platform_populate+0x94/0x158
> [   10.657358]  msm_pdev_probe+0x74/0x358 [msm]
> [   10.657369]  platform_drv_probe+0x58/0xa8
> [   10.657377]  really_probe+0x290/0x488
> [   10.657384]  driver_probe_device+0x12c/0x148
> [   10.657391]  device_driver_attach+0x74/0x98
> [   10.657397]  __driver_attach+0xc4/0x178
> [   10.657403]  bus_for_each_dev+0x84/0xd8
> [   10.657409]  driver_attach+0x30/0x40
> [   10.657416]  bus_add_driver+0x170/0x258
> [   10.657423]  driver_register+0x64/0x118
> [   10.657430]  __platform_driver_register+0x54/0x60
> [   10.657582]  msm_drm_register+0x60/0x6c [msm]
> [   10.657592]  do_one_initcall+0x94/0x460
> [   10.657600]  do_init_module+0x60/0x204
> [   10.657606]  load_module+0x2078/0x2720
> [   10.657613]  __do_sys_finit_module+0x100/0x120
> [   10.657619]  __arm64_sys_finit_module+0x28/0x38
> [   10.657628]  el0_svc_common.constprop.2+0x7c/0x180
> [   10.657635]  el0_svc_handler+0x34/0xa0
> [   10.657643]  el0_sync_handler+0x124/0x1f8
> [   10.657649]  el0_sync+0x140/0x180
> [   10.657659] Code: 1a80d281 9a93d2b5 2a0103f4 91032273 (39400264)
> [   10.657667] ---[ end trace 8b4c2740f71524d1 ]---
> 
> Full test log,
> https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/994051#L1396
> 
> metadata:
>   git branch: master
>   git repo: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>   git commit: dcd34bd234181ec74f081c7d0025204afe6b213e
>   git describe: next-20191106
>   make_kernelversion: 5.4.0-rc6
>   kernel-config:
> http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640/config
>   build-location:
> http://snapshots.linaro.org/openembedded/lkft/lkft/sumo/dragonboard-410c/lkft/linux-next/640
> 
> 
> Best regards
> Naresh Kamoju
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-arm-kernel mailing list
> linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel
> 

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-06 16:17   ` Mark Brown
@ 2019-11-07  8:00     ` Linus Walleij
  2019-11-07 11:45       ` Mark Brown
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Linus Walleij @ 2019-11-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Robin Murphy, Naresh Kamboju, Catalin Marinas, Will Deacon,
	Linux ARM, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, open list,
	lkft-triage, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 04:07:52PM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:
>
> > FWIW this smells like a builtin driver had its of_device_id table marked
> > __init, leaving drv->of_match_table as a dangling pointer to freed memory by
> > this point.
>
> Indeed, in fact I sent a fix for this to Linus Walleij yesterday having
> seen the relevant build warning when testing -next.  Someone already
> reported that it fixed the boot issues.  Hopefully Linus will pick it up
> soon :/

Yeah picked it up and pushed out now. I wish I'd been quicker with
it but the patch spot activity has been high. (Bad signal-to-noise
ratio on the mailing lists.)

I wonder if it's worth to look at the static checkers like checkpatch
to warn for this?

There is always a bit of delicate balance between just fixing some
weird one-off problems and making sure they never happen again.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-07  8:00     ` Linus Walleij
@ 2019-11-07 11:45       ` Mark Brown
  2019-11-07 11:59         ` Ben Dooks
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-11-07 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Robin Murphy, Naresh Kamboju, Catalin Marinas, Will Deacon,
	Linux ARM, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, open list,
	lkft-triage, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 526 bytes --]

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 09:00:25AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:

> I wonder if it's worth to look at the static checkers like checkpatch
> to warn for this?

I noticed this due to the warning emitted in the build process so I'm
not sure there'd be much more chance that people would notice (though
admittedly the warning during the build doesn't suggest a boot problem).
There's hundreds of other examples in the tree that don't trigger
crashes for whatever reason, I think this one was just noticable because
it got built in.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 488 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007
  2019-11-07 11:45       ` Mark Brown
@ 2019-11-07 11:59         ` Ben Dooks
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ben Dooks @ 2019-11-07 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Robin Murphy, Naresh Kamboju, Catalin Marinas,
	Will Deacon, Linux ARM, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann,
	open list, lkft-triage, John Stultz, Linux-Next Mailing List

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 11:45:53AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 09:00:25AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> 
> > I wonder if it's worth to look at the static checkers like checkpatch
> > to warn for this?
> 
> I noticed this due to the warning emitted in the build process so I'm
> not sure there'd be much more chance that people would notice (though
> admittedly the warning during the build doesn't suggest a boot problem).
> There's hundreds of other examples in the tree that don't trigger
> crashes for whatever reason, I think this one was just noticable because
> it got built in.

Is it worth hving a attribute for 'can't be initdata' to add to sparse to
catch things like this. Not sure if checkpatch would be able to do the sort
of full level of catch for this.



-- 
Ben Dooks, ben@fluff.org, http://www.fluff.org/ben/

Large Hadron Colada: A large Pina Colada that makes the universe disappear.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-11-06 15:56 Linux-next-20191106 : arm64: Internal error: Oops: 96000007 Naresh Kamboju
2019-11-06 16:07 ` Robin Murphy
2019-11-06 16:16   ` Mark Rutland
2019-11-06 16:17   ` Mark Brown
2019-11-07  8:00     ` Linus Walleij
2019-11-07 11:45       ` Mark Brown
2019-11-07 11:59         ` Ben Dooks
2019-11-06 17:19 ` Russell King - ARM Linux admin

Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/0 linux-next/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-next linux-next/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next \
		linux-next@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-next

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-next


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git