Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
@ 2020-07-01  1:34 Stephen Rothwell
  2020-07-01  5:52 ` Marco Elver
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-07-01  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney, Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: Linux Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Marco Elver


[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 806 bytes --]

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:

  kernel/kcsan/Makefile

between commit:

  f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")

from the kbuild tree and commits:

  2839a232071f ("kcsan: Simplify compiler flags")
  61d56d7aa5ec ("kcsan: Disable branch tracing in core runtime")

from the rcu tree.

I fixed it up (I just used the rcu tree version) and can carry the fix
as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but
any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
particularly complex conflicts.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 488 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
  2020-07-01  1:34 linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree Stephen Rothwell
@ 2020-07-01  5:52 ` Marco Elver
  2020-07-01 10:53   ` Masahiro Yamada
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Marco Elver @ 2020-07-01  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: Paul E. McKenney, Linux Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 03:34, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:
>
>   kernel/kcsan/Makefile
>
> between commit:
>
>   f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")

Is it possible that this patch drops the KCSAN portion? The patch
"kcsan: Simplify compiler flags" does the same, but is part of a
future pull request intended for 5.9.

The KCSAN changes had been in -next for well over a week. Also, I'm
sorry I hadn't seen your patch before, otherwise I would have noticed
this.

Please see: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200624190236.GA6603@paulmck-ThinkPad-P72

> from the kbuild tree and commits:
>
>   2839a232071f ("kcsan: Simplify compiler flags")
>   61d56d7aa5ec ("kcsan: Disable branch tracing in core runtime")
>
> from the rcu tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I just used the rcu tree version) and can carry the fix
> as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but
> any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
> cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> particularly complex conflicts.

Thank you!

Thanks,
-- Marco

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
  2020-07-01  5:52 ` Marco Elver
@ 2020-07-01 10:53   ` Masahiro Yamada
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2020-07-01 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Elver
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Paul E. McKenney, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 2:52 PM Marco Elver <elver@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 03:34, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   kernel/kcsan/Makefile
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >   f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")
>
> Is it possible that this patch drops the KCSAN portion?


Done.

Thanks.


> The patch
> "kcsan: Simplify compiler flags" does the same, but is part of a
> future pull request intended for 5.9.
>
> The KCSAN changes had been in -next for well over a week. Also, I'm
> sorry I hadn't seen your patch before, otherwise I would have noticed
> this.
>
> Please see: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200624190236.GA6603@paulmck-ThinkPad-P72
>
> > from the kbuild tree and commits:
> >
> >   2839a232071f ("kcsan: Simplify compiler flags")
> >   61d56d7aa5ec ("kcsan: Disable branch tracing in core runtime")
> >
> > from the rcu tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (I just used the rcu tree version) and can carry the fix
> > as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but
> > any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> > when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
> > cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> > particularly complex conflicts.
>
> Thank you!
>




-- 
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-07-01  1:34 linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree Stephen Rothwell
2020-07-01  5:52 ` Marco Elver
2020-07-01 10:53   ` Masahiro Yamada

Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/0 linux-next/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-next linux-next/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next \
		linux-next@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-next

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-next


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git