* linux-next: manual merge of the kspp tree with the mips tree
@ 2021-01-18  4:08 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-01-18  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook, Thomas Bogendoerfer
	Linux Next Mailing List, Sami Tolvanen

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the kspp tree got a conflict in:

  include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h

between commits:

  9a427556fb8e ("vmlinux.lds.hf41b233de0ae: catch compound literals into data and BSS")
  f41b233de0ae ("vmlinux.lds.h: catch UBSAN's "unnamed data" into data")

from the mips tree and commit:

  dc5723b02e52 ("kbuild: add support for Clang LTO")

from the kspp tree.

I fixed it up (9a427556fb8e and dc5723b02e52 made the same change to
DATA_MAIN, which conflicted with the change in f41b233de0ae) and can
carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the
conflicting tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kspp tree with the mips tree
@ 2021-02-14 20:47 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-02-14 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook, Thomas Bogendoerfer

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:08:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Today's linux-next merge of the kspp tree got a conflict in:
>
>   include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h
>
> between commits:
>
>   9a427556fb8e ("vmlinux.lds.hf41b233de0ae: catch compound literals into data and BSS")
>   f41b233de0ae ("vmlinux.lds.h: catch UBSAN's "unnamed data" into data")
>
> from the mips tree and commit:
>
>   dc5723b02e52 ("kbuild: add support for Clang LTO")
>
> from the kspp tree.
>
> I fixed it up (9a427556fb8e and dc5723b02e52 made the same change to
> DATA_MAIN, which conflicted with the change in f41b233de0ae) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the
> conflicting tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

With the merge window about to open, this is a reminder that this
conflict still exists.

--

@ 2021-02-22 23:49   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-02-22 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook, Thomas Bogendoerfer

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 07:47:26 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:08:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the kspp tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h
> >
> > between commits:
> >
> >   9a427556fb8e ("vmlinux.lds.hf41b233de0ae: catch compound literals into data and BSS")
> >   f41b233de0ae ("vmlinux.lds.h: catch UBSAN's "unnamed data" into data")
> >
> > from the mips tree and commit:
> >
> >   dc5723b02e52 ("kbuild: add support for Clang LTO")
> >
> > from the kspp tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (9a427556fb8e and dc5723b02e52 made the same change to
> > DATA_MAIN, which conflicted with the change in f41b233de0ae) and can
> > carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> > concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> > upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> > also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the
> > conflicting tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
>
> With the merge window about to open, this is a reminder that this
> conflict still exists.

This is now a conflict between the kspp tree and Linus' tree.

--

@ 2021-02-23 10:44     ` Alexander Lobakin
From: Alexander Lobakin @ 2021-02-23 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Alexander Lobakin, Kees Cook, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Sami Tolvanen

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 10:49:50 +1100

> Hi all,

Hi,

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 07:47:26 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:08:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Today's linux-next merge of the kspp tree got a conflict in:
> > >
> > >   include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h
> > >
> > > between commits:
> > >
> > >   9a427556fb8e ("vmlinux.lds.hf41b233de0ae: catch compound literals into data and BSS")
> > >   f41b233de0ae ("vmlinux.lds.h: catch UBSAN's "unnamed data" into data")
> > >
> > > from the mips tree and commit:
> > >
> > >   dc5723b02e52 ("kbuild: add support for Clang LTO")
> > >
> > > from the kspp tree.
> > >
> > > I fixed it up (9a427556fb8e and dc5723b02e52 made the same change to
> > > DATA_MAIN, which conflicted with the change in f41b233de0ae) and can
> > > carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> > > concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> > > upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> > > also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the
> > > conflicting tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
> >
> > With the merge window about to open, this is a reminder that this
> > conflict still exists.
>
> This is now a conflict between the kspp tree and Linus' tree.

Kees prepared a Git pull of kspp tree for Linus, this will be resolved
soon.

> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell