From: "Gupta, Pekon" <pekon@ti.com>
To: Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>,
	Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1@gmail.com>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
Cc: Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>,
	"linux-next@vger.kernel.org" <linux-next@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>,
	Mark Jackson <mpfj-list@newflow.co.uk>
Subject: RE: linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the l2-mtd tree
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 06:18:28 +0000	[thread overview]

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Gupta, Pekon <pekon@ti.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Today's linux-next merge of the arm-soc tree got a conflict in
> >> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/gpmc-nand.txt between
> commits
> >> 6c88058ef927 ("ARM: OMAP2+: cleaned-up DT support of various ECC
> >> schemes") and 212012138deb ("mtd: nand: omap2: updated support for
> >> BCH4
> >> ECC scheme") from the l2-mtd tree and commit 496c8a0bbb72 ("ARM:
> >> OMAP2+:
> >> Allow NAND transfer mode to be specified in DT") from the arm-soc tree.
> >>
> >> I fixed it up (maybe - see below) and can carry the fix as necessary (no
> >> action is required).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >> Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au
> >>
> > Yes following merge is correct. Apologies, as there were multiple OMAP2
> NAND and GPMC updates and clean-up going into different trees, so these
> conflict came. Going forward you shouldn't find such issues, as code is more
> stable now. Thanks for help.
> >
> > with regards, pekon
>
> Sigh. The new bindings seem to never have been reviewed by any device
> tree maintainers, and from the look of it, it might need some
> discussion. It wasn't even cc:d to devicetree-discuss.
>
> It's completely inappropriate to merge a patch like this at this time
> without any kind of acks from the people reviewing bindings. Can it
> please be dropped ASAP from the MTD tree? Thanks!
>
> Or, if you want it in different wording: The mtd-tree patch is a
> strong NAK until this has been sorted out.
>
> It was also applied today, after the merge window opened. Don't merge
> it for 3.11. Artem?

Hi OIof,

You may drop this patch if you wish so, but its not correct to say that this
was not reviewed. Following are comments from "Arnd Bergmann"
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-May/047030.html
And follow-up reasoning..
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-May/047032.html

And based on Arnd's feedbacks patches which contained changes in
binding string was even dropped from the series, please see
cover-letter of V3 set below.
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-June/047319.html
- PATCH-4 <DROPPED> update DT attribute for ti,nand-ecc-opt
	- received feedback to keep DT mapping independent of linuxism
- PATCH-4:<NEW> : ARM: dts: AM33xx: updated default ECC scheme in nand-ecc-opt
	- independent patch for AM335x-evm.dts update based on PATCH-2

So, in case you have objections to same earlier patch where I had
introduced 'linux-based' nomenclature for bindings, that particular
one is already dropped in V3 of this patch series.

with regards, pekon