* linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
@ 2020-07-01  1:34 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-07-01  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney, Masahiro Yamada

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:

  kernel/kcsan/Makefile

between commit:

  f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")

from the kbuild tree and commits:

  2839a232071f ("kcsan: Simplify compiler flags")
  61d56d7aa5ec ("kcsan: Disable branch tracing in core runtime")

from the rcu tree.

I fixed it up (I just used the rcu tree version) and can carry the fix
as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but
any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
@ 2020-07-01  5:52 ` Marco Elver
From: Marco Elver @ 2020-07-01  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Masahiro Yamada

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 03:34, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:
>
>   kernel/kcsan/Makefile
>
> between commit:
>
>   f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")

Is it possible that this patch drops the KCSAN portion? The patch
"kcsan: Simplify compiler flags" does the same, but is part of a
future pull request intended for 5.9.

The KCSAN changes had been in -next for well over a week. Also, I'm
sorry I hadn't seen your patch before, otherwise I would have noticed
this.

Please see: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200624190236.GA6603@paulmck-ThinkPad-P72

> from the kbuild tree and commits:
>
>   2839a232071f ("kcsan: Simplify compiler flags")
>   61d56d7aa5ec ("kcsan: Disable branch tracing in core runtime")
>
> from the rcu tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I just used the rcu tree version) and can carry the fix
> as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but
> any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
> cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> particularly complex conflicts.

Thank you!

Thanks,
-- Marco

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rcu tree with the kbuild tree
@ 2020-07-01 10:53   ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2020-07-01 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Elver
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 2:52 PM Marco Elver <elver@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 03:34, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the rcu tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   kernel/kcsan/Makefile
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >   f7c28e224da6 ("kbuild: remove cc-option test of -fno-stack-protector")
>
> Is it possible that this patch drops the KCSAN portion?

Done.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards