* Coresight tree to -next please
@ 2015-05-04 22:19 Mathieu Poirier
From: Mathieu Poirier @ 2015-05-04 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfr; +Cc: linux-next

Good day Stephen,

I am the maintainer of the coresight sub-system [1] and I would like
to ask you to add my next tree [2] to the list of trees you are using
to build linux-next.

Regards,
Mathieu

[1]. drivers/hwtracing/coresight
[2]. https://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git (next)

* Re: Coresight tree to -next please
@ 2015-05-05  0:48 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2015-05-05  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Poirier; +Cc: linux-next

Hi Mathieu,

On Mon, 4 May 2015 16:19:30 -0600 Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org> wrote:

> I am the maintainer of the coresight sub-system [1] and I would like
> to ask you to add my next tree [2] to the list of trees you are using
> to build linux-next.
>
> [1]. drivers/hwtracing/coresight
> [2]. https://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git (next)

I used git://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git, and added it from
today.  Is this tree to be submitted directly to Linus, or via some
other tree? (just gives me a clue as to where to positiion it in the
merge list)

Thanks for adding your subsystem tree as a participant of linux-next.
As you may know, this is not a judgment of your code.  The purpose of
linux-next is for integration testing and to lower the impact of
conflicts between subsystems in the next merge window.

You will need to ensure that the patches/commits in your tree/series
have been:
     * submitted under GPL v2 (or later) and include the Contributor's
        Signed-off-by,
     * posted to the relevant mailing list,
     * reviewed by you (or another maintainer of your subsystem tree),
     * successfully unit tested, and
     * destined for the current or next Linux merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch).  It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: Coresight tree to -next please
@ 2015-05-05 14:22   ` Mathieu Poirier
From: Mathieu Poirier @ 2015-05-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next

On 4 May 2015 at 18:48, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On Mon, 4 May 2015 16:19:30 -0600 Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> I am the maintainer of the coresight sub-system [1] and I would like
>> to ask you to add my next tree [2] to the list of trees you are using
>> to build linux-next.
>>
>> [1]. drivers/hwtracing/coresight
>> [2]. https://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git (next)
>
> I used git://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git, and added it from
> today.

Perfect - did you use the "next" branch?

> Is this tree to be submitted directly to Linus, or via some
> other tree? (just gives me a clue as to where to positiion it in the
> merge list)

I take patches in my next tree and about twice per cycle will send a
tally to GKH for inclusion in his char-misc-next branch.  As such when
he takes my patches there should be some duplication between the
coresight next branch and his char-misc-next.  Do you see this as a
problem?

@ 2015-05-05 14:27     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2015-05-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Poirier; +Cc: linux-next

Hi Mathieu,

On Tue, 5 May 2015 08:22:20 -0600 Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 4 May 2015 at 18:48, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > I used git://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git, and added it from
> > today.
>
> Perfect - did you use the "next" branch?

Yes.

> > Is this tree to be submitted directly to Linus, or via some
> > other tree? (just gives me a clue as to where to positiion it in the
> > merge list)
>
> I take patches in my next tree and about twice per cycle will send a
> tally to GKH for inclusion in his char-misc-next branch.  As such when
> he takes my patches there should be some duplication between the
> coresight next branch and his char-misc-next.  Do you see this as a
> problem?

It can cause conflicts if you send patches to Greg and keep them in
your tree (if there are further changes to the same files in either
tree).  Much better would be to ask him to pull your tree (or a subset)
that way you have the same commits (as opposed to patches) in both
trees.

--

@ 2015-05-05 14:33       ` Mathieu Poirier
From: Mathieu Poirier @ 2015-05-05 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next

On 5 May 2015 at 08:27, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On Tue, 5 May 2015 08:22:20 -0600 Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 May 2015 at 18:48, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> >
>> > I used git://git.linaro.org/kernel/coresight.git, and added it from
>> > today.
>>
>> Perfect - did you use the "next" branch?
>
> Yes.
>
>> > Is this tree to be submitted directly to Linus, or via some
>> > other tree? (just gives me a clue as to where to positiion it in the
>> > merge list)
>>
>> I take patches in my next tree and about twice per cycle will send a
>> tally to GKH for inclusion in his char-misc-next branch.  As such when
>> he takes my patches there should be some duplication between the
>> coresight next branch and his char-misc-next.  Do you see this as a
>> problem?
>
> It can cause conflicts if you send patches to Greg and keep them in
> your tree (if there are further changes to the same files in either
> tree).

Right, but I _never_ change patches once they've been published.

> Much better would be to ask him to pull your tree (or a subset)
> that way you have the same commits (as opposed to patches) in both
> trees.

I see your point.

Thanks for your time,
Mathieu