Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>
To: Stephen Warren <swarren@wwwdotorg.org>
Cc: Tony Prisk <linux@prisktech.co.nz>,
	Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Colin Cross <ccross@android.com>,
	linux-next@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tegra tree with the arm-soc tree
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:35:10 -0800

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Stephen Warren <swarren@wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 09:27 AM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Given that the maintainer can quite safely do the patch (sorry
>>> maintainers), I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done at the
>>> point where they stop accepting patches for the merge-window. Once the
>>> patches are stopped, sort the list in one last patch.
>
> That only works well if the one maintainer is the only person taking
> patches for the drivers/clocksource tree. It might be true that the "one
> maintainer" here ends up being arm-soc in this kernel cycle though?

I'll send a patch to Linus at the end of the merge window, no need to
do it through a merge -- that way it's trivial for him to fixup a
merge conflict (and he can refuse to take it if he feels it's silly).

>>> It makes sense to get it done in this window if possible as the Kconfig
>>> will only get bigger as time goes on, making sorting it more time
>>> consuming.
>>
>> Actually, Russell wen through and reordered these not long ago, if I
>> remember correctly. The current ordering is the same as in the
>> structure definition, and should be kept that way.
>
> I think this is talking about Makefile entries rather than struct
> definitions?

Ah, yes, they should be sorted. But definitely not right now since
it'll just make things worse.

-Olof