Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>
To: Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>
Cc: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	ARM <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>,
	Xiaowei Bao <xiaowei.bao@nxp.com>,
	Hou Zhiqiang <Zhiqiang.Hou@nxp.com>,
	Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com>,
	Shawn Guo <shawnguo@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the pci tree with the arm-soc tree
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 14:29:31 -0800

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 3:07 AM Lorenzo Pieralisi
<lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 03:18:01PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > > Bjorn, we ask that driver subsystem maintainers don't pick up DT
> > > changes since it causes conflicts like these.
> > >
> > > Is it easy for you to drop this patch, or are we stuck with it?
> > > Ideally it should never have been sent to you in the first place. :(
> >
> > Lorenzo, is it feasible for you to drop it from your pci/layerscape
> > branch and repush it?  If so, I can redo the merge into my "next"
> > branch.
>
> Done. Should we ignore all dts updates from now onwards ?

Thanks!

Indeed, dts updates should only go in through the platform maintainers
(i.e. through soc tree), unless there are strong reasons to bring them
in through driver trees.

If there's a need for a dt-include to be shared between driver and
dts, getting them on a stable branch that's merged through both trees
is usually the best way. Reach out when that happens and we can
coordinate.

Regards,

-Olof

  parent reply index