Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>
To: Ludovic BARRE <ludovic.barre@st.com>
Cc: Alexandre Torgue <alexandre.torgue@st.com>,
	Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@arm.com>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	ARM <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>,
	Amelie Delaunay <amelie.delaunay@st.com>
Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the irqchip tree with the arm-soc tree
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 22:10:08 -0700

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Ludovic BARRE <ludovic.barre@st.com> wrote:

> On 05/29/2018 10:55 AM, Alexandre Torgue wrote:

>>> And I'm happy to let you deal with these patches. I'm just asking you
>>> sync with Ludovic to split the series on whichever boundary you wish to
>>> enforce.
>>
>> ok

>>> Well, you seem to have a strong opinion about who deals with what. I'll
>>> let Ludovic repost what you and him decide should go via the irqchip
>>> tree.
>>

>> It's not a "strong" opinion just my point of view and maybe not the good
>> one. I thought that's the way of working was like I explained. If you prefer
>> 2 series (one for driver patches and another one for DT patches) I will be
>> happy with that.
>>
>> Ludovic, what is your opinion ?
>

> Hi everybody
>
> For this serie, I think we could keep like that with
> Stephen fix. New stm32 irqchip will be integrated (thanks Marc)
> with no conflict with usb (thanks Stephen).
>
> For next series, we may split driver and DT to avoid misunderstanding.

The general rule that we try to use is to always merge DT through the
arm-soc tree, even if the driver gets merged through the subsystem
tree. There should be no harm in doing this for new drivers (i.e. a
new driver won't regress if the DT update is missing, it just won't
probe/configure). And that way we can keep the conflicts internal to
our tree (ideally to the SoC maintainer tree) and not cause overhead
for other maintainers and Stephen.

So yes, for the future please do not submit the DT updates with the
drivers, or at the very least be very clear when you post them that
you don't want the driver maintainer to apply them.

-Olof