From: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
To: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
Cc: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	linux-next@vger.kernel.org, Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>,
	linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: kbuild tree build failure
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:52:25 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> We use Kconfig for a mixture of user editable values and fixed
> configuration values.
> And I agree that asking the user to input a 64 bit number is not usefull.
>
> But keeping support for 64 bit values is what I would consider
> expected functionality.

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? That's a rather generic argument, do we
really have to keep everything, because someone _might_ want to use it?
I'd rather look at how useful it really is to keep that functionality and
so far we exactly one user, which doesn't strictly require it.
So far it's more a convenience feature rather than a required feature. We
don't lose any functionality, it's just shifted from kconfig to the header
file.

> > This would also ease on any portability issues
> > (kconfig is compiled with the host compiler not the target compiler).
>
> We use strtol() in a few places in symbol.c already where we do an
> implicit conversion to int. Why did this not cause us problems before?
>
> Is it because these code paths are only triggered when we deal with ranges?
> If so we could 'fix' strdup_type() to not use strto{,u}l() so it
> is 64 bit clean and we are back to old behaviour.

Ranges are the primary reason I made it consistent with this.
If we really wanted to support 64bit numbers, it would create only more
problems. First you have to make sure that on every build host (i.e also
non-Linux) strtoll() is available. Then how it should these numbers be
represented? On 32bit these may need a 'll' postfix, but the powerpc
example already shows, that there are different requirements, so they use
ASM_CONST for that. How should this postprecessing be integrated into
kconfig?
I would seriously prefer to keep things as simple as possible, unless
there is a real requirement for it, but so far there isn't any.
If we really needed something like this, I'd rather introduce a new
expression type, which works more like an unquoted string (e.g. you
could define something like (1l<<$PAGE_SHIFT)), where things like ranges
wouldn't work, but it also wouldn't have any content restrictions.

bye, Roman