Linux-NFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
* support for UDP
@ 2019-09-13 15:14 Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2019-09-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hi folks,

I'd like to gauge what people think. Do you think we'd ever do a bold
thing like drop the UDP support in the upstream kernel (obviously with
a plan to fade it out with a config option that we did with the des
support)...

* Re: support for UDP
@ 2019-09-13 15:37 ` Daniel Gryniewicz
From: Daniel Gryniewicz @ 2019-09-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olga Kornievskaia, linux-nfs

On 9/13/19 11:14 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to gauge what people think. Do you think we'd ever do a bold
> thing like drop the UDP support in the upstream kernel (obviously with
> a plan to fade it out with a config option that we did with the des
> support)...

Yes, please.

Daniel

* RE: support for UDP
@ 2019-09-13 16:16   ` Frank Filz
From: Frank Filz @ 2019-09-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dang, Olga Kornievskaia, linux-nfs

> On 9/13/19 11:14 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'd like to gauge what people think. Do you think we'd ever do a bold
> > thing like drop the UDP support in the upstream kernel (obviously with
> > a plan to fade it out with a config option that we did with the des
> > support)...
> >

> Yes, please.

Yea, it would certainly be nice to not have to worry about UDP connections. They don't work for NFS in high speed high bandwidth workloads due to the issues with fragment reassembly. Their use for NFS v3 sideband protocols doesn't really buy much.

Of course we'll still have to support UDP for 10 more years...

Frank

* Re: support for UDP
@ 2019-09-19 13:40 ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2019-09-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olga Kornievskaia, linux-nfs

On 9/13/19 11:14 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to gauge what people think. Do you think we'd ever do a bold
> thing like drop the UDP support in the upstream kernel (obviously with
> a plan to fade it out with a config option that we did with the des
> support)...

Starting with Fedora 29 and RHEL7 UDP mounts are no longer negotiated.
The command line argument is need to do a UDP mount.

Again starting with Fedora 29 and now RHEL8 UDP is off by default
on the NFS servers. A configuration change is needed for UDP mounts.

We did this to cut the testing matrix in half...

We've not had any push back on the lack of UDP support.

Personally I think it is long overdue...

My two cents,

steved.