Linux-NFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Frank Filz" <ffilzlnx@mindspring.com>
To: <dang@redhat.com>, "'Olga Kornievskaia'" <aglo@umich.edu>,
	"'linux-nfs'" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: support for UDP
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 09:16:23 -0700

> On 9/13/19 11:14 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'd like to gauge what people think. Do you think we'd ever do a bold
> > thing like drop the UDP support in the upstream kernel (obviously with
> > a plan to fade it out with a config option that we did with the des
> > support)...
> >

> Yes, please.

Yea, it would certainly be nice to not have to worry about UDP connections. They don't work for NFS in high speed high bandwidth workloads due to the issues with fragment reassembly. Their use for NFS v3 sideband protocols doesn't really buy much.

Of course we'll still have to support UDP for 10 more years...

Frank