linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com>
To: "aglo@umich.edu" <aglo@umich.edu>
Cc: "linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: interrupted rpcs problem
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 18:24:53 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 13:09 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Trond Myklebust
> <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 11:08 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:

> > > Ok I see your point that if the server cached the arguments, then
> > > the
> > > server would tell that 2nd rpc using the same slot+seqid has
> > > different
> > > args and would not use the replay cache.
> > >
> > > However, I wonder if the client can do better. Can't we be more
> > > aware
> > > of when we are interrupting the rpc? For instance, if we are
> > > interrupted after we started to wait on the RPC, doesn't it mean
> > > the
> > > rpc is sent on the network and since network is reliable then
> > > server
> > > must have consumed the seqid for that slot (in this case
> > > increment
> > > seqid)? That's the case that's failing now.
> > >

> > "Reliable transport" does not mean that a client knows what got
> > received and processed by the server and what didn't. All the
> > client
> > knows is that if the connection is still up, then the TCP layer
> > will
> > keep retrying transmission of the request. There are plenty of
> > error
> > scenarios where the client gets no information back as to whether
> > or
> > not the data was received by the server (e.g. due to lost ACKs).
> >
> > Furthermore, if a RPC call is interrupted on the client, either due
> > a timeout or a signal,
>
> What timeout are you referring to here since 4.1 rcp can't timeout. I
> think it only leaves a signal.

If you use 'soft' or 'softerr' mount options, then NFSv4.1 will time
out when the server is being unresponsive. That behaviour is different
to the behaviour under a signal, but has the same effect of
interrupting the RPC call without us being able to know if the server
received the data.

> > then it almost always ends up breaking the
> > connection in order to avoid corruption of the data stream (by
> > interrupting the transmission before the entire RPC call has been
> > sent). You generally have to be lucky to see the timeout/signal
> > occur
> > only when all the RPC calls being cancelled have exactly fit into
> > the
> > socket buffer.
>
> Wouldn't a retransmission (due to a connection reset for whatever
> reason) be different and doesn't involve reprocessing of the slot.

I'm not talking about retransmissions here. I'm talking only about
NFSv4.x RPC calls that suffer a fatal interruption (i.e. no
retransmission).

> > Finally, just because the server's TCP layer ACKed receipt of the
> > RPC
> > call data, that does not mean that it will process that call. The
> > connection could break before the call is read out of the receiving
> > socket, or the server may later decide to drop it on the floor and
> > break the connection.
> >
> > IOW: the RPC protocol here is not that "reliable transport implies
> > processing is guaranteed". It is rather that "connection is still
> > up
> > implies processing may eventually occur".
>
> "eventually occur" means that its process of the rpc is guaranteed
> "in
> time". Again unless the client is broken, we can't have more than an
> interrupted rpc (that has nothing waiting) and the next rpc (both of
> which will be re-transmitted if connection is dropped) going to the
> server.
>
> Can we distinguish between interrupted due to re-transmission and
> interrupted due to ctrl-c of the thread? If we can't, then I'll stop
> arguing that client can do better.

There is no "interrupted due to re-transmission" case. We only
retransmit NFSv4 requests if the TCP connection breaks.

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is only about interruptions
that cause the RPC call to be abandoned (i.e. fatal timeouts and
signals).

> But right now we are left in a bad state. Client leaves opened state
> on the server and will not allow for files to be deleted. I think in
> case the "next rpc" is the write that will never be completed it
> would
> leave the machine in a hung state. I just don't see how can you
> justify that having the current code is any better than having the
> solution that was there before.

That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is largely
orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has occurred.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace