linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Scott Mayhew <smayhew@redhat.com>
To: Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com>
Cc: "linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Question about open(CLAIM_FH)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 16:43:56 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 09:37 -0400, Scott Mayhew wrote:
> > When the client does an open(CLAIM_FH) and the server already has
> > open
> > state for that open owner and file, what's supposed to happen?
> > Currently the server returns the existing stateid with the seqid
> > bumped,
> > but it looks like the client is expecting a new stateid (I'm seeing
> > the
> > state manager spending a lot of time waiting in
> > nfs_set_open_stateid_locked() due to NFS_STATE_CHANGE_WAIT being set
> > in
> > the state flags by nfs_need_update_open_stateid()).
> >
> > Looking at rfc5661 section 18.16.3, I see:
> >
> >    | CLAIM_NULL, CLAIM_FH | For the client, this is a new OPEN
> > request |
> >    |                      | and there is no previous state
> > associated  |
> >    |                      | with the file for the
> > client.  With        |
> >    |                      | CLAIM_NULL, the file is identified by
> > the  |
> >    |                      | current filehandle and the
> > specified       |
> >    |                      | component name.  With CLAIM_FH (new
> > to     |
> >    |                      | NFSv4.1), the file is identified by
> > just   |
> >    |                      | the current filehandle.
> >
> > So it seems like maybe the server should be tossing the old state and
> > returning a new stateid?
> >

> No. As far as the protocol is concerned, the only difference between
> CLAIM_NULL and CLAIM_FH is through how the client identifies the file
> (in the first case, through an implicit lookup, and in the second case
> through a file handle). The client should be free to intermix the two
> types of OPEN, and it should expect the resulting stateids to depend
> only on whether or not the open_owner matches. If the open_owner
> matches an existing stateid, then that stateid is bumped and returned.
>
> I'm not aware of any expectation in the client that this should not be
> the case, so if you are seeing different behaviour, then something else
> must be at work here. Is the client perhaps mounting the same
> filesystem in two different places in such a way that the super block
> is not being shared?

No, it's just a single 4.1 mount w/ the default mount options.

For a bit of background, I've been trying to track down a problem in
RHEL where the SEQ4_STATUS_RECALLABLE_STATE_REVOKED flags is getting
permanently set because the nfs4_client->cl_revoked list on the server
is non-empty... yet there's no longer open state on the client.

I can reproduce it pretty easily in RHEL using 2 VMs, each with 2-4 CPUs
and 4-8G of memory.  The server has 64 nfsd threads and a 15 second
lease time.

On the client I'm running the following to add a 10ms delay to CB_RECALL