linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Errors in nfs man pages
@ 2020-05-16 15:50 Helge Kreutzmann
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2020-05-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Dear nfs maintainers.
the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
man pages both from a large variety of sources (including nfs) as
well for a large variety of target languages.

During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
original (english) man pages. Sometiems this is a straightforward
typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
original.

We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
the latest upstream version once a while, so the error might be
already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
each and every issue.

Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
your source format.

Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
them.

I'm now reporting the errors for your project. If future reports
should use another channel, please let me know.

**

Man page: blkmapd.8
Issue: Markup of "device-mapper"

"The topology typically consists of a hierarchy of volumes built by striping, "
"slicing, and concatenating the simple volumes.  The B<blkmapd> daemon uses "
"the device-mapper driver to construct logical devices that reflect the "
"server topology, and passes these devices to the kernel for use by the pNFS "
"block layout client."
--
Man page: blkmapd.8
Issue: Markup of "syslogd"

"Runs B<blkmapd> in the foreground and sends output to stderr (as opposed to "
"syslogd)"
--
Man page: exportfs.8
Issue: B<exports(5)> → B<exports>(5)

"The I<host:/path> argument specifies a local directory to export, along with "
"the client or clients who are permitted to access it.  See B<exports(5)> for "
"a description of supported options and access list formats."
--
Man page: nfs.5
Issue: Typo: kernel_soruce

"Enable/Disables the cache of (read-only) data pages to the local disk using "
"the FS-Cache facility. See cachefilesd(8)  and E<lt>kernel_soruceE<gt>/"
"Documentation/filesystems/caching for detail on how to configure the FS-"
"Cache facility.  Default value is nofsc."
--
Man page: nfs.conf.5
Issue: Typo: Comma at the end (instead of full stop)

"time>, B<udp>, B<tcp>, B<vers2>, B<vers3>, B<vers4>, B<vers4.0>, B<vers4.1>, "
"B<vers4.2>, B<rdma>,"
--
Man page: nfsd.7
Issue: back-slash vs. backslash, should be consistent

"Each line of the file contains a path name, a client name, and a number of "
"options in parentheses.  Any space, tab, newline or back-slash character in "
"the path name or client name will be replaced by a backslash followed by the "
"octal ASCII code for that character."
--
Man page: nfsd.7
Issue: thread currently → threads currently

"This file represents the number of B<nfsd> thread currently running.  "
"Reading it will show the number of threads.  Writing an ASCII decimal number "
"will cause the number of threads to be changed (increased or decreased as "
"necessary) to achieve that number."
--
Man page: nfsd.7
Issue: The first sentence is somewhat logical, however, is this really the intended meaning of this file?

"This is a somewhat unusual file in that what is read from it depends on what "
"was just written to it.  It provides a transactional interface where a "
"program can open the file, write a request, and read a response.  If two "
"separate programs open, write, and read at the same time, their requests "
"will not be mixed up."
--
Man page: nfsd.7
Issue: can be display → can be displayed

"The directory B</proc/net/rpc> in the B<procfs> filesystem contains a number "
"of files and directories.  The files contain statistics that can be display "
"using the I<nfsstat> program.  The directories contain information about "
"various caches that the NFS server maintains to keep track of access "
"permissions that different clients have for different filesystems.  The "
"caches are:"
--
Man page: nfsd.7
Issue 1: select(2) or poll(2) → B<select>(2) or B<poll>(2)

"If the program uses select(2) or poll(2) to discover if it can read from the "
"B<channel> then it will never see and end-of-file but when all requests have "
"been answered, it will block until another request appears."
--
Man page: nfsmount.conf.5
Issue 1: »Variables are assignmen statements … variables« …?

"The configuration file is made up of multiple sections followed by variables "
"associated with that section.  A section is defined by a string enclosed by "
"B<[> and B<]> branches.  Variables are assignment statements that assign "
"values to particular variables using the B<=> operator, as in B<Proto=Tcp>.  "
"The variables that can be assigned are exactly the set of NFS specific mount "
"options listed in B<nfs>(5)."
--
Man page: nfsmount.conf.5
Issue: Superfluous comma at the end

"B<nfs>(5), B<mount>(8),"
--
Man page: nfs.systemd.7
Issue: changesare make → changes are made

"When configuration changesare make, it can be hard to know exactly which "
"services need to be restarted to ensure that the configuration takes "
"effect.  The simplest approach, which is often the best, is to restart "
"everything.  To help with this, the B<nfs-utils.service> unit is provided.  "
"It declares appropriate dependencies with other unit files so that"
--
Man page: showmount.8
Issue: (Missing) markup of "sort -u"

"B<showmount> queries the mount daemon on a remote host for information about "
"the state of the NFS server on that machine.  With no options B<showmount> "
"lists the set of clients who are mounting from that host.  The output from "
"B<showmount> is designed to appear as though it were processed through "
"``sort -u''."
--
Man page: umount.nfs.8
Issue: refer → refer to the

"For further information please refer B<nfs>(5)  and B<umount>(8)  manual "
"pages."
--
Man page: umount.nfs.8
Issue: Superfluous comma at the end

"B<nfs>(5), B<umount>(8),"

Greetings

            Helge

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Errors in NFS man pages
@ 2021-09-15 18:37   ` Helge Kreutzmann
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2021-09-15 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: linux-nfs

Hello Bruce,
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 02:33:21PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 08:07:46AM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Dear NFS maintainer,
> > the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
> > man pages both from a large variety of sources (including NFS) as
> > well for a large variety of target languages.
> >
> > During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
> > original (english) man pages. Sometimes this is a straightforward
> > typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
> > convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
> > original.
> >
> > We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
> > least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
> > distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
> > the latest upstream version once in a while, so the error might be
> > already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
> > if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
> > the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
> > each and every issue.
> >
> > Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
> > i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
> > groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
> > possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
> > your source format.
> >
> > Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
> > not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
> > problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
> > them.
> >
> > I'm now reporting the errors for your project. I'm not repeating the
> > errors reported 2020-05-16, 2021-05-29, if you would like a full
> > report, please let me know. If future reports should use another
> > channel, please let me know as well.
>
> This is probably fine.
>
> But if it's possible to make these into patches against nfs-utils
> (http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=summary), and send
> them to steved@redhat.com, cc'd to this list--that would probably get
> the fastest response.

Sorry, given more than > 100 upstreams and very limited man power this
is not possible. I would be really glad if you could handle them, even
if this takes more time (better late than never).

Thanks for taking care!

Greetings

         Helge

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Errors in NFS man pages
@ 2021-09-15 18:33 ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2021-09-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Kreutzmann; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 08:07:46AM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Dear NFS maintainer,
> the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
> man pages both from a large variety of sources (including NFS) as
> well for a large variety of target languages.
>
> During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
> original (english) man pages. Sometimes this is a straightforward
> typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
> convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
> original.
>
> We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
> least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
> distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
> the latest upstream version once in a while, so the error might be
> already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
> if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
> the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
> each and every issue.
>
> Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
> i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
> groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
> possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
> your source format.
>
> Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
> not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
> problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
> them.
>
> I'm now reporting the errors for your project. I'm not repeating the
> errors reported 2020-05-16, 2021-05-29, if you would like a full
> report, please let me know. If future reports should use another
> channel, please let me know as well.

This is probably fine.

But if it's possible to make these into patches against nfs-utils
(http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=summary), and send
them to steved@redhat.com, cc'd to this list--that would probably get
the fastest response.

--b.

> Man page: nfs.5
> Issue: B<nfsmount.conf(5)> → B<nfsmount.conf>(5)
>
> "If the mount command is configured to do so, all of the mount options "
> "described in the previous section can also be configured in the I</etc/"
> "nfsmount.conf> file. See B<nfsmount.conf(5)> for details."
> msgstr ""
> "Falls der Befehl »mount« entsprechend konfiguriert ist, können alle in den "
> "vorhergehenden Kapiteln beschriebenen Einhängeoptionen auch in der Datei I</"
> --
> Man page: nfs.5
> Issue: Why is the word "option" in bold?
>
> "The B<sloppy> option is an alternative to specifying B<mount.nfs> -s "
> "B<option.>"
>
> --
>       Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@helgefjell.de
>            Dipl.-Phys.                   http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
>         64bit GNU powered                     gpg signed mail preferred
>            Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/

* Errors in NFS man pages
@ 2021-09-12  6:07 Helge Kreutzmann
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2021-09-12  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)